TADS vs. AGT

I take it that you’re referring to the error message from the Turbo Pascal Compiler when compiling your version of AGT?

The Turbo Pascal Programmer’s Reference (PDF) has this to say about the error:

71 Internal stack overflow.

The compiler’s internal stack is exhausted due to too many levels of nested statements. Rearrange your code so it is not nested so deeply. For example, move the inner levels of nested statements into a separate procedure.

(p. 246)

Maybe you’ve done so already, but that might be worth a try?

If you need to delve more deeply into Turbo Pascal, that site apparently also holds the Language Guide and the User’s Guide: Index of /pdf/borland/turbo_pascal

I am not yet skilled enough to break it up into two stacks, I’m afraid. I tried once- let’s just say I have quite a ways to go there.

The only problem is with COMMAND.PA3 so if I can get more in there that would do it. Switching to TPC.EXE allowed all of the original plus ten new meta-commands so in theory it should be possible.

I don’t understand fully your objective: you want to actually develop on a retro environment, or do you like AGT as language ?

Personally I think Magx is a sensible evolution of AGT, and IMVHO a better language, esp. when dealing with metacommands.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

I don’t understand fully your objective: you want to actually develop on a retro environment, or do you like AGT as language ?

Personally I think Magx is a sensible evolution of AGT, and IMVHO a better language, esp. when dealing with metacommands.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

I’m just modifying the existing code since that’s all I’m capable of at this point.

As of right now:

1. Added the hardwired verb SITUATE. This can only be used with the preposition ON, otherwise you get a warning and PUT is used. This costs two extra turns.

2. Two new meta-commands enable AGT to temporarily or lastingly change text color, good for color effects and “SanctuaryRPG Black” images.

3. Numerous changes to existing messages to cover more bases or for a better look.

4. A new meta-command allowing one to distinguish which preposition was used. Thus putting something on the altar will do one thing while putting it behind or under is not allowed or will have different effects.

5. AGT can now place things using (preposition the whatever). This goes beyond the POSITION attribute. If you search behind the bookcase (see #4) you can find a key and looking over the room the key is there (behind the bookcase).

6. Creatures and worn items can now act as light sources.

7. A quirk where so long as items can fit in a box any number can go in has been fixed.

8. A similar quirk involving weight has also been dealt with.

9. More than two same-nouns can now exist and even be in the same place because now AGT can distinguish objects- so now you can carry a gold, silver, and iron key into a room to use on three locks on one door.

10. Tricks going far beyond the weird enemy creature limitations confirmed. Those “limitations” do not exist if you do not want them to.

11. AGT itself can switch things on and off.

12. Etc.

All of this enables AGT to do things it could not do before.

1 Like

Do these changes work in existing AGT interpreters like AGiliTy (the AGT interpreter in Gargoyle)?

1 Like

from his changelog above, I assess that “Agt Fan” 's changes don’t work on agility, necessitating a custom parser…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio

No. But it seems as though meta-commands can cause problems in any case.

My games work fine on DOS emulators like DOSBox and those for the Windows CE 6 Sylvania netbook.

Sorry for the delay, but it’s been bad times for a while.

2 Likes