Tables and Topic Listed

Hi

I’m having problems with tables and matching to the topic entry. Could someone tell me what is wrong with the follow please? I can’t spot what is wrong, it fails on the topic listed.

[code]Understand “textadding [text] in [something]” as textadding it in. textadding it in is an action applying to one topic and one visible thing.

carry out textadding:
if the topic understood is a topic listed in the conversation of the second noun
begin;
choose a blank row in conversation of the second noun; now topic entry is topic listed;

end if;

The conversation of John Peters is the Table of John Peters Conversations.

Table of John Peters Conversations
topic
“test”
“one”
[/code]

I’m not sure what you’re trying to do. It looks like you’re making an action that can add rows to the table, but the carry out rule reads like you’re adding new rows only if they already exist (?). What’s the goal of “now topic entry is topic listed”?

Hi, sorry reading back my request was a bit light on information. Yes, I’m trying to create a routine with adds rows to various tables if the text is not in the table. I then want to create a routine to remove text if it is in the table. Looks like I pasted the wrong line in my original request. So, this is what I’ve coded which doesn’t work.

[code]Understand “textadding [text] in [something]” as textadding it in. textadding it in is an action applying to one topic and one visible thing.

carry out textadding:
if there is no topic corresponding to a topic of topic understood in the conversation of the second noun
begin;
choose a blank row in conversation of the second noun; now topic understood is topic listed;
end if;

The conversation of John Peters is the Table of John Peters Conversations.

topic
“test”
“one”[/code]

Ok, well “topic listed” can’t be used alone and it’d point to an existing topic anyway when you want to use the new topic, which is stored in “topic understood”. Try this:

[code]Carry out textadding:
if the topic understood is not a topic listed in the conversation of the second noun
begin;
choose a blank row in conversation of the second noun;
now topic entry is “[topic understood]”;
end if;

topic
“test”
“one”
with 10 blank rows [ <-- note that you have to reserve room for the new topics]
[/code]

Does that work? I didn’t think you could add a snippet to a table entry.

I haven’t managed to get it working yet.

Um, yeah, that won’t work. If you want to add what the unknown stuff the player typed to a table, you’ll need to use an “indexed text” column. Search the documentation for indexed text and there will be examples of how to capture the player’s typing.