Syntax coloring in Twine 2.6.0

Twine Version: 2.6.0
Story Format: Sugarcube 2.36.1

Hello,

I’ve been searching in the forum and everywhere but cannot find an answer for my question: did anyone created a sugarcube syntax coloring for Twine?

Now that Twine support export to Twee, is the best way to organize the narrative and merge later with the rest of the code.

Anyone know if this exists?

Thank you!

AFAIK there is only syntax colouring in passages for Harlowe in Twine.
If you use VSCode, there are 2 syntax colouring extension for Sugarcube: Sugarcube2 by Cherrybomb97 and Twee 3 Language Tools by cyrusfirheir.

Hello Manon,

yes, I used VSCode as my everyday tool and have the syntax. But for me, organizing all the narrative tree branches and choices in plain code is pretty difficult, and the UI of twine help me a lot in that. But not in the coding, of course, that’s why my question.

Thanks!

The Twee 3 Language Tools by cyrusfirheir extension for VSCode includes a Story-map View that you can use to visualise the connections between the Passages of your TWEE Notation based project. The page I linked to includes an image that shows what this view looks like.

The Twine 2.x application requires each story format’s Developer to implement the code required to add features like Syntax Highlighting to the application’s Passage Editor, and that code needs to be embedded within that story format’s format.js file.

Currently only the developers of Harlowe and Chapbook have implemented & embedded such Passage Editor extensions in their story format templates.

The Twee 3 Language Tools by cyrusfirheir extension for VSCode includes a Story-map View that you can use to visualise the connections between the Passages of your TWEE Notation based project. There are also VSCode extensions for Spelling and Grammar.

So often there is no need to use the Twine 2.x application at all when your project is TWEE Notation based.

Thanks for the tip about the Story-map view. I tried it a few months ago and (at last in macOS) is sluggish. I give it another try!