SugarCube 2.35 uploaded to Itch.io only works on my computer

Please specify version and format if asking for help, or apply optional tags above:
Twine Version: Version 2.3.10 (2.3.10)
Story Format: SugarCube 2.35.0

Hello,

I am new here and have looked for a solution to this but am getting the same handful of old threads.

I have uploaded a short section of my SugarCube 2.35.0 project to itch io but if I try and access it via any other browser, device or even in incognito mode I get the message:

An embedded page at ///v6p9d9t4.ssl.hwcdn.net* says

A fatal error has occurred. Aborting.

Error: no valid storage adapters found.

Naturally I want anyone visiting to be able to play it. Other browser-based itch.io twine games I found have roughly the same problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

*/// added to remove link from post

Try enabling cookies on those other browsers. If that works, ask the other players to do the same for their browsers. Your IF works on my browser that enabled cookies. :slight_smile: (“valid storage adapters” might be referring to localStorage of the browser, often limited on smartphone browsers to save space)

Thank you.

That does work quite well, I feel a bit sinister asking people to fiddle with their security/privacy settings when they arrive but I don’t think there’s any other way.

SugarCube, and most other browser games, require cookies in order to be able to save and load games without having to fiddle with external files. Additionally, it uses Session Storage in order to preserve the current state of the game in case the browser page gets refreshed (which, IIRC, happens regularly in some mobile browsers).

I don’t think anyone will be particularly worried about this if they play lots of browser games, since there’s really nothing “sinister” about it and it’s pretty commonplace.

I hope that helps clear that up for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes