Story tab just won't work in Inform 7

I’m a novice trying to get started in Inform 7, but whenever I try to access the story tab, it fully doesn’t work. Not even a blank page, it won’t even let me click on the tab. A similar thing happens whenever I press “Go”. A few times a bar has showed up on top that says it’s trying to compile Inform 7 to Inform 6, but this never progresses.

I’ve tried closing and relaunching, switching formats from Glulx to Z-Code, and even switching to Inform 6, but nothing seems to do anything

I’m running the app from MacOS Ventura 13.0.1. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be/if there’s any way to fix it?

1 Like

If you select the Results tab and then Console inside of that, is there an error message?

A similar problem has occured on Windows when Windows virus-checking ate part of the Inform package. But Mac virus-checking doesn’t work that way (it would flag the entire app), so I’m pretty sure this is something else.

1 Like

Also, which version of Inform 7 do you have, and where did you install it from?

1 Like

I have version 1.65 and I think I installed it from the Mac app store. I remember looking at the website links to download, but I think I ultimately used the other way.

And yeah, when I select Results and Console there isn’t an error message, just a long string that says it’s launching the project.

1 Like

I have no experience with the Mac App Store version, I’m afraid. But it hasn’t been updated in several years (2017?) The latest version at https://github.com/ganelson/inform/releases is from 2022 so you should try that.

1 Like

Ok, thank you! I’ll definitely give that a try.

1 Like

Update: did that and it works now!

1 Like