Story based IF?

I prefer hemp-FUELED games.

I like Twine, and while I occasionally enjoy an interactive story, I feel like Twine has potential that most people just don’t care to look into. So, if you want a straightforward, interactive story, try 90% of Twine games.

yeah, 90% of twine is guaranteed to be 100% clickable

Conversely, 90% of parser IF is guaranteed to be 100% typable (allowing for menu-driven games like Endling Archive).

I mean, as long as we’re stating the obvious without any correlation to anything else.

typing is superior to clicking

even seasoned FPS players know that

Aren’t FPS games largely click-based on PC?

yes, but FPS die-hards won’t ever drop the keyboard for gamepads with buttons

MU- don’t feed the troll.

I’ll feed whoever I damn well want to! Have a biscuit!

Can’t really dispute that, since I based my entire review of Colder Light on that sentiment. :slight_smile: Though I wouldn’t call it superior, I’ll definitely argue that typing implies communitating with the game world in a more direct way that clicking links/hotspots, which creates a more immersive experience where the player is truly an agent in an experience that he has to understand, as opposed to clicking various links in blocks of text.

Still, I’ve seen great uses of the limited interactivity you get in Twine/CYOA games, in some cases going where a parser couldn’t really be expected to go. So I’d say, don’t give up on the clicking just yet. :wink:

Also, may I have a biscuit too?

*passes the selection box

MTW ate all the chocolate ones.

He would have.

I’m not selfish. I just want everything for me.

So, is the general consensus here that “Choose your adventure” style storygames are inferior to typing based games, or something? The vibe I’m getting is that unless you can type in commands, it’s not interactive enough. Just has me a bit concerned since I’m entering this kind of story for the spring thing competition.

Anyway, the site I’m from has what you’re interested in:
http://chooseyourstory.com/

I’ll warn you that anything below a rating of six is probably lower quality that you want to deal with, but it goes without saying if you give a pen to anyone that wants to write, most of it will be bad haha.

There is no such consensus. Last Spring Thing was won by a choice-based game in Twine so don’t worry on that score.

There’s no consensus: there’s a spectrum of opinion, though it’s kind of skewed towards the typed-command side because that was the traditional focus of the community. The average person here is probably somewhere between ‘mildly prefers parser’ and ‘likes them about the same’. There are a minority who very strongly prefer parser, and they’re kind of loud about it.

(Also, just because the naming-convention wars weren’t complicated enough, calling them ‘storygames’ totally doesn’t work for me, because that namespace is already occupied by narrative-oriented, American-style indie tabletop RPGs in the vein of Fiasco, Monsterhearts, Microscope or Shooting the Moon.)

The output from games created on that site is very similar to Twine, possibly without the bells and whistles.

There is a sort of attitude by some people towards Choice-Based games. Part of it is it takes a certain amount of work and smarts to learn a parser system, usually less so for a passable game in a Choice-Based system, and I think that sort of “This took a lot more work and is therefore better” feeling might prevail.

Those of us who are Infocom junkies from way back will always have a bit of that inherently.

I clicked the beginnings of a couple of these stories on the site given and they looked surprisingly well-written. Closer to Choice of Games than random Twine beat poetry.

Maga - is “Choice-Based” perhaps a better moniker for a game where you click choices on a screen?

:laughing:

I distinguish two independent variables: “parser” vs. “point and click”, and “choice-based” vs. “puzzle-based.”

Most “adventure games” are puzzle-based, with a split between parser-based puzzle games and point-and-click puzzle games. Most choice-based games let you click on the choices, but not all.

The Colder Light is a point-and-click puzzle-based game. De Baron is a choice-based parser game.

walking home (by spinach) is a Twine poetry game that offers no choices at all, just one link per page.

My mileage varies, but what the hey.