Stairs.

[code]the first floor corridor is west of the apartment door. “You see [apartment door] to the east.”

the ground floor corridor is down from the first floor corridor.

the second floor corridor is up from the first floor corridor.

the stairs0 are scenery in ground floor corridor. understand “stairs” as stairs0. the printed name of stairs0 is “stairs”. “There’s stairs up.”

the stairs1 are scenery in first floor corridor. understand “stairs” as stairs1. the printed name of stairs1 is “stairs”. “There’s stairs up and stairs down.”

the stairs2 are scenery in second floor corridor. understand “stairs” as stairs2. the printed name of stairs2 is “stairs”. “There’s stairs down.”

understand “take stairs up” as going up.

understand “take stairs down” as going down.

Instead of taking stairs2:
try going down;

Instead of taking stairs0:
try going up;

instead of taking stairs1:
say “Do you want to go up or down?”;[/code]

… stairs suck. Any way around them? or should I get to work on an elevator?

edit:

screw it. Elevators suck too.

[code]WL Tower 8th floor is west of the apartment door. “You see [apartment door] to the east, and the elevator is to the north.”

elevator1 is north from WL Tower 8th floor. the printed name of elevator1 is “elevator”. understand “elevator” as elevator1.

WL Tower ground floor is a room.

After going to elevator1:
say “You get in the elevator and push the button. The doors close, the elevator moves, and once the doors open you arrive at…”;
if elevator1 is mapped north of WL Tower 8th floor:
now WL Tower ground floor is mapped south of elevator1;
now elevator1 is mapped north of WL Tower ground floor;
otherwise:
now WL Tower 8th floor is mapped south of elevator1;
now elevator1 is mapped north of WL Tower 8th floor;
try going south;[/code]i tried making sure it didn’t get confused by having the non-used floors 's north lead nowhere but that kept erroring.

i want to make the elevators work, though.

i’ll just make fake elevators and rather than moving the room i’ll just move the player to the floor they can reach. … :confused: that’s what i get for using documentation (secret elevator) examples. still not sure why it won’t work. it works once, then it just doesn’t work, won’t let me get back to the 8th floor!

I’d suggest using “up” and “down” directions without stairs, or making your staircases doors.

[code]A staircase is a kind of door. A staircase is always open and not openable. Check taking a staircase: try entering the noun instead. Understand “stair” or “stairs” as a staircase.

The first-floor staircase is a staircase above the first floor and below the second floor.[/code]