Spring Thing 2022 General Discussion

Alas, my wife has informed me the baby-juggling hobby needs to be brought in for a landing, but at least that means more time for IF!

Christopher’s list above seems right to me, and I’d also add Custard and Mustard to the list - on its own merits, I hasten to add, not just because he’s sucking up to the reviewer (I’m doing beta test reviews once I’m done with the rest of the main festival – then Back Garden – so I’ll give reasons soon enough, but for now just trust me!) I think New Year’s Eve, 2019 is also one to watch, and I’m intensely curious about the Fall of Asemia, which is next-to-last on my list but has a neat blurb and quite the pedigree (it’s by the winner of last year’s IF Comp).

3 Likes

I’ve said it before: I’ve seen this movie. Y’all get the nerdy misfit girl to believe she’ll be prom queen, get her up on stage, then throw a bucket of pig blood on her. Not falling for it.

7 Likes

Darn!

Well, my granny’s recipe for black pudding calls for exactly 1 (one) bucket of pig blood. Now I just have to gather up some onions, apples, parsley, oats and assorted spices. And pig fat.

Since you’ve seen the movie, this way no pig’s blood will be wasted on a prank that’s already spoilt.

3 Likes

It’s always interesting seeing predictions for winners, and I don’t have anything to add that to the names already being thrown around and the excellent analysis above, but I also wanted to say that winners of all IF competitions tend to be long games that appeal to everyone, with non-offensive, generally humorous or witty content, mild-to-moderate puzzles and good dialogue.

This is pretty similar to the formula for Marvel movies (with combat/conflict replacing puzzles), which I enjoy, but many authors don’t set out to make a game like that. Instead, they want to express some deep anguish of the soul, or make something creepy, or make a very short game that people can enjoy, or have very hard puzzles, or try out some cool experiment.

These games often don’t get the big recognition of the winners, but I really appreciate them. That’s why I like the ribbon system, where you can nominate anyone for anything, and I hope that everyone will make sure to nominate games for those ‘bonus’ ribbons if they made an impression on you in any way, even if they’re not ‘number one’.

16 Likes

I have an eye at ifdb voting dates but it is curious that generally these rankings doesn’t match what you can see in any comp.

1 Like

Maybe I didn’t understand what you’re saying correctly, but @cchennnn crunched the numbers for IFComp last year and found that the IFDB rank was actually a really good predictor of the final rankings. See IFComp score predictions: 2018-2021 - #30 by cchennnn

1 Like

I have followed votings for some games in ifdb and I don’t feel the same.
This spreadsheet is very big. I have to study it closely. Thank you. I have missed it.

I just found this stream of Bigfoot Bluff and Ma Tiger’s Terrible Trip on twitch: Twitch

6 Likes

It’s probably a good predictor for Spring Thing as well, up to a point. The winners last year (The Weight of a Soul and Fish and Dagger) were first and fourth out of the 37 entries based on IFDB ranking. That definitely leaves room for an upset though, especially since there’s fewer IFDB votes per game this time around.

1 Like

Futile. The Q’udzlth from Hinterlands: Marooned will devour all games (and their authors) and claim all ribbons.

5 Likes

My immediate reaction to this was “but Spring Thing was so active this year!” My initial impression was that a bunch of votes came in after the comp, and there were a few (hooray for people giving things another look post-comp!) but they didn’t change that, yeah, there were more votes per game. Perhaps that’s a function of having more games this year.

Or (and I wasn’t around for last year) maybe a function of having no clear runaway top tier, so there’s not a lot of buzz around one particular game?

2 Likes

All good observations! I think it’s also that most of the activity this year has come from the authors themselves, many of whom are choosing to embargo their reviews until after the comp. I expect the IFDB reviews and ratings to match if not exceed last year’s once the Thing is over.

I can’t remember if the restrictions about negatively discussing other works were in play last year, but one way or another the authors are much more involved this time around. Personally I’m happy with the tradeoff, it’s been really fun this year!

4 Likes

The rules about negatively discussing other works were definitely in play last year, and I think have been in play for quite a few years prior to this.

3 Likes

From what I understand, the awards are more of a straight vote, and not a rating competition like IFComp, right? That would probably weigh it heavily towards games that can be played online, are easy to get running, etc.

Uh, my guesses are Computerfriend and Fairest. Not original but if I call it hey I get to say I called it.

e: okay how actually do these ribbon nominations work? Is it straight votes for the two most popular get Best in Show and then anybody who was nominated for anything gets that unless the organizer deems it troll/inappropriate?

5 Likes

I would be beyond shocked if Computerfriend won any superlative but “Slimiest Worms” (and Good Grub may have me beat there) but it’s very nice seeing that people enjoyed it!

7 Likes

The authors get to see the ribbons their game was nominated for. These can range from serious (“Most Memorable NPC”) to silly (I nominated So I was Short of Cash and Took on a Quest for “Best Smelling Chicken” last year).

The authors then get to choose any ribbons they like (max 3) to display alongside their game. (The author of SIWSOCATOAQ chose to flaunt “Best Smelling Chicken”)

This way, some ribbons are going to represent a shared appreciation of a number of players (a lot of variations on “Best NPC”) while some may just be one person’s impression (“Awesomest Tentacles”) .

7 Likes

The Bright Blue Ball, by Clary C

The game leaves mixed feelings. On the one hand we got kind, short, easy to play game. But on the other — bombs, shelters, all these things in the background… It’s not I personally expected after reading author’s game comment: "I wanted to give people a cute and easy game to focus on instead of the many stressful recent events that have happened (covid, the war, etc.) so enjoy playing it!”

2 Likes

I made two nominations beyond “Best in Show”

One is idiosyncratic, and one is a recognizable category. I think I am more curious about these other ribbons.

So far as best in show goes, I was wrong–wildly, incredibly wrong–about potential winners for IFcomp, but I think I have a pretty good guess this time.

3 Likes

In procrastinating responding to reviews to thank reviewers for their time and thoughtful attention (really, running on the fumes of my morning coffee and waiting for the Tylenol to kick in,) I figured I might also toss in my guess on who’s going to be Best in Show.

Not original either, I’m afraid- but I definitely think ‘Fairest’ is going to be a really strong contender. It’s well implemented, beginner friendly without feeling obnoxious or intrusive in providing tips, and its subject matter is fairly friendly to a broad audience. I think the tipping point for me was that: despite being someone really new to parsers and frankly, a bit intimidated, especially with the learning curve in how to play them- the game was a wonderful experience and introduction to that style of play, and I could very happily recommend it to people who are also similarly new or confused by parsers.

It’s like, baby’s first training wheels, while not making a new player feel condescended to or sheepish about being guided through. Also, it’s fun to play! It made me want to play more of it after initially sitting down, and something being fun to play even for someone who’s not typically in its audience (I usually dislike fairytale re-tellings and fantasy in general) says a lot about the quality of the work. It’s not my usual cup of tea, but it was a lovely treat all the same.

Now, asides from that- I do think there are a couple of names I’ve been seeing float around already in this thread due to innovation or name recognition, and those probably have a solid shot at it too for that. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them took home that particularly shiny ribbon!

EDITED TO ADD: I also want to say that while I’ve usually just shrugged off looking at parsers because I assumed ‘nah, I’m not smart enough to figure out how this works, and anyways, it’ll be a nightmare trying to progress and I always get confused when I try,’ after trying out Fairest and some helpful tips in that thread, it gave me enough confidence to try out other parsers people chatter about on here like Sting.

I didn’t write a review about Sting not because I couldn’t find something nice to say, (I avoid doing reviews where I can’t find at least one thing I loved about the game), but because I find it difficult to write about semi-autobiographical works wherein I can’t rely on some sort of shared personal experience to connect to, since those games feel much more personal than say, critiquing some generic shoot 'em up or something like that.

That being said: it was a very evocative experience that I sat down with for a bit afterwards, the same way I sit down and have to have a little moment to let the end of a really good novel wash over me and linger in the aftermath. I am very grateful that I ran into Fairest, 'cause otherwise I would’ve missed out on experiencing Sting outside of secondhand reviews. So that also definitely contributes to my feelings towards Fairest.

The damn sailing portion still tripped me up massively, but I don’t think I was alone in that, haha! And also, it did fit the piece, especially after reading through comments from the author about how he wasn’t the best sailor back then, which did make me giggle a little.

9 Likes

but check out that consolation prize: you would then get to spectacularly destroy us all!

4 Likes