Spring Thing 2012 voting deadline approaching

Just a reminder:

If you want to vote for the games in Spring Thing 2012, the deadline is just four days away, next Sunday, May 6 (at 11:59 PM EDT).

Even if you haven’t played any of the games yet, there still might be time to download them all, play them, and vote.

You can find out everything you need to know at:
springthing.net/2012/

Anyone who plays the games and is willing to follow the voting rules may vote on the games.

There have been a good ten voters already, which is not bad considering the deadline is still a few days away. But the more voters and the more feedback, the better!

Greg

I’ve done some spoilery reviews (with half-assed illustrations) over here.

The votes have been tallied, and the results are in:

springthing.net/2012/

Congratulations to Janos Honkonen, who took first place, as well as everyone else who entered Spring Thing 2012.

I will be in contact with entrants and donors shortly regarding prizes.

Greg

Yay!

Great Gratz to Janos. If this is your first piece of IF I can’t wait for the second!

!

Thank you everybody - after a very trying weekend this was certainly a blast!

I’ll be publishing a debugged version of the game later today, I got a ton of great pointers, bug reports and such during the voting period. I had only one month to create the game from scratch, and a ton of things were left unimplemented, not to mention the lack of proofreading on some parts.

But wonderful, guys and gals, you really made my day!

Congrats Janos! I’ll be looking out for your your debugged version.

It will win the Competition for sure due to its perfect implementation and size.

Looks like you spoke a little too soon! [emote]:D[/emote]

Yeah, I played dirty. In Italy it’s common usage to state the opposite of the desired outcome to “bend” luck. [emote]:)[/emote]

This doesn’t mean I wasn’t surprised by Janos winning.

Ah! The old reverse psychology trick. Works (almost) every time!

All right, the release 2 with a hint system, some additional proof reading and bug fixes is now up at the game’s own site and IFDB!

That’s good to see! However, I would say that the forgiveness rating of it is “Polite” rather than “Tough” since it doesn’t really have any unwinnable situations, just premature endings.

Thank you for the reviews and the illustrations are great! Do you mind if I use that piece of illustration on the game site, obviously properly credited and linked to you?

Please do; glad you liked it.

I disagree: if you prevaricate before cleaning up the mud, you can put the game in an unwinnable situation. Of course, like most modern games, you can undo indefinitely to get yourself out of that, but I definitely wouldn’t call having to do so ‘polite’.

That’s not really an unwinnable situation.

You just get a premature ending when your parents come in and you’re not stuck in the game indefinitely because of it.

What I’m saying is that you can get the game into a state where it’s no longer possible to win and you can keep playing for several turns before this becomes apparent. This is qualitatively different from just getting a ‘premature ending’ which you can type undo and then proceed as normal.

Yes, but when it is apparent, the game ends with a premature ending. Plus, when you restart, you’ll know exactly what you need to do and won’t need to save. The game fits the description of polite in the cruelty scale.

Nope:

You could conceivably save after spending a few turns without cleaning up the mud, thus saving the game in an unwinnable situation. It may not be immediately obvious that you won’t have enough time to clean up all the mud.

Admittedly, this might be different in the latest version.

Yes, but then you just restart the game and then “it’s blatantly obvious and you’ll know better than to save afterwards”. So, in actual fact you don’t need a save game at all.

If you ever need to restart or restore, rather than using a single UNDO, the game is not Polite.

Okay, I think I’m going to err on the side of “tough”.