Spring Thing 2007

The poor save feature. With the longer games getting ignored, it’s becoming second to the undo feature.

I don’t know whether people saw (and Google Groups is awful right now), but the results are out:

springthing.net/2007/

My reviews have been up for a while, but if anyone’s interested and hasn’t seen them, they’re posted at emshort.wordpress.com/ .

Yes, well done, Victor. Well deserved win. And no, I’m not resentful at all at being beaten. Not at all. Not one bit. Nah.

[emote]:cry:[/emote] [emote]:cry:[/emote] [emote]:cry:[/emote] [emote]:cry:[/emote] [emote]:cry:[/emote] [emote]:cry:[/emote] [emote]:cry:[/emote]

Number one quote of the year [emote]:)[/emote]

More awful than usual. [emote]Smile[/emote]

A-ha! More fuel for my Forums vs Newsgroups Thesis.

I’m half-tempted to go and post something on RAIF about it now but don’t want to wait 3 months for my reply to show up. [emote]Wink[/emote]

Oh, please don’t. It’s not going to change anyone’s mind. I’m frequently frustrated with Usenet, but I have a different set of frustrations with forums, so…

I was going to save this until I got home, rather than abusing the uni Internet connection, but I couldn’t resist. I’m so curious about the totally different experiences we had with The Epic Origins of CamelGirl!.

I’m not surprised CamelGirl! lost, but I really enjoyed it. (It may even have been my favourite game of the comp.) I never had to resort to the walkthrough once, and while I can see how you would consider the final puzzle underclued, I (for some reason) got it straight away. Possibly this is because I’d earlier found an alternative ending where you get to use a different one of your superpowers. I really liked the ability to discover different endings (and each with their own puzzles, too!).

But it was buggy. I didn’t encounter your 'terp issue, but I found a whole lot of bugs of my own, including one bizarre situation where Darcy started following me around the hospital even though she was still supposed to be handcuffed to her bed! I was also irritated by the numerous and unclued ways you could put the game in an unwinnable state.

I’ve been planning for a while to email the author a list of bugs and encourage her to finish putting the game together, but I haven’t had time to go back over it and put a list together. (Forgot to take transcripts while playing, as usual.)

Part of it was that I lost faith in the game pretty early on – that it would be implemented without bugs, that the puzzles would be clear enough for me to solve – and that made me more willing to go to the walkthrough later when I was stumped temporarily on anything.