Smashing Stuff

I’m trying to change the default message when the player attempts to smash something, but running into problems. First of all, I tried

[code]“test” by David Whyld

Cell is a room. “A room.”

Chair is in Cell. “A chair.”

Instead of smashing chair, say “No.”[/code]

but this won’t compile at all and tells me that

So then I added

[code]“test” by David Whyld

Cell is a room. “A room.”

Chair is in Cell. “A chair.”

Understand the command “smashing” as something new. Understand “smash [something]” as smashing. Smashing is an action applying to one thing.

Instead of smashing chair, say “No.”[/code]

which compiles, but when attempting to smash the chair, I’m told

I’m sure what I’m doing wrong is something really basic but I can’t seem to figure out what it might be.

You almost got it, but in your improved version, you slipped up by having “smashing” as the command, rather than just “smash”.

• Wade

The action you want is ‘attacking’, which will catch a variety of verbs including ‘smash’.

Your last example doesn’t work because you’ve understood “smashing” as a new command but then defined grammar for “smash”. So the old smash grammar still holds. Smashing is an adjective anyway.

Thanks. I knew it would be something really obvious like that.

Now works like a treat :slight_smile:

The “actions” in-game command is useful for stuff like this. If you compile a game with a chair and type

Actions

it will list every action that you’re trying. So when you go on to type

Smash chair

it’ll print “[attacking the chair]” before giving you the “Violence isn’t the answer” response. So that tells you that the action name is attacking.

The “Commands A-Z” part of the index can also tell you this.

Ooh, handy. I only knew about “rules on/off,” which spews out a lot more (but is helpful for more detailed errors.) It’s good to have different levels of scope.