Completed šŸ‘» Jams Reviews Round Up! ~ Bare-Bones, EctoComp and inkJam done!

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed my game so much! Thanks for playing it and writing your review!

As for the endings, there are 27 in all, including the true ending.

2 Likes

Roads of Liches by Andrew Schultz

Summary: You note an after-dark dafter ark. You are promised loads of riches ā€¦ and you walk through. There are roads ā€“ empty at first, but then liches run you off them, to a parkā€¦

Thoughts while playing: Oh boyā€¦ another word play game. Oh yay, I think I get the mechanic! Oh noā€¦ Oh, right that makes this word out loud! Ha-AH! I found that one in the first tryā€¦ Ok, letā€™s just check the walkthrough real quick cause I have no ideaā€¦ And now Iā€™m lost (downloading the map)ā€¦ Ok, done that, and that, and thatā€¦ How to I move those sheep now? Oh-huhā€¦ I think I got myself suckā€¦

In her review of Andrewā€™s other entry, Amanda thought he was a disciple of Dr. Seuss. And, from my little knowledge/exposure of Seussā€™s work, I think this entry makes it more obvious than Taller Tech Mauler Mech. Itā€™s very whimsical in terms of the gameplay, and absurd when you look at the prose. When you donā€™t, itā€™s pretty frustrating (and you feel a bit dumb). But when you get it, itā€™s really fun (and you feel so darn smart). Anyway, I gave up after getting 23/50-53 as a score, but not before I scooped my brain out of all my guessing cells!

2 Likes

Thank you for playing and sharing your thoughts! And I agree with your suggestion for pushing the horror further, I might go back and add in some more stuff once the jamā€™s over

1 Like

End Of History by n-n

Note: This was also submitted to the Spanish EctoComp, in the La Petite Mort category (but Iā€™m bad at Spanishā€¦)

Summary: An interdimensional visitation narrative.

Thoughts: Short but a neat puzzle about numerology. Once you figure out what part goes where, itā€™s pretty simple to reach the end. The lesson here: donā€™t mess with time.
A super ironic thing that happened: I got the French Revolution as the event to fix up :joy:

Unrelated, but my bachelor thesis was about The End of History by Fukuyama, so the title made me giggle a bit.

5 Likes

Not totally unrelated! The title was a bit of an afterthought; noticing the magazine issue that anchors the story in time was published the month before the Berlin Wall fell, the Fukuyama reference seemed to wrap the whole thing up nicely.

Edit: thanks for reviewing, awesome thread!

2 Likes

Among the Haunted by aurelim and Alby

Summary: What will you do on the day of Halloween? Decorate your house? Play some pranks on poor trick-o-treaters with help from the ghosts within your walls? Attend to your children to make sure they do not tell anyone that your house is haunted? The choice is yours!

Thoughts: This entry tried to mash up a cosy slice-of-life with horror elements, which, while it seems intriguing, did not manage to deliver much with either. There are indeed horror elements, especially at the start and towards the end, but it ends up being muddled and drowned by lengthy passages with passive interaction (really stops the tension and high pace). The whole feels more like a cramming of horror(-ish) references* into a slice-of-life quirky concept (single mom moving into a haunted house and makes the most of it). Granted, mixing up genres, especially when they are so different, is pretty difficulty.

I think more interactivity would have helped greatly the game. The blurb set some expectations with decorating the house, going trick-or-treating, maybe pulling a prank on kidsā€¦ but most of it happens in passing, with little injection from the player. For example: you can choose to wear your costume, but the placement of decoration happens during a few passages where you can only click-to-continue. The reader is more along for the ride than an active participant**. Not only youā€™d have more agency as a player, it would help with the pace of the story (which could have enhanced the horror aspect).

Though, for a collaboration between two writers, with quite different styles***, the prose and style was pretty consistent throughout.

I just have one more gripe with accessibility: the text needs a dark overlay behind it to be readable, especially when the passage has an image for a background. Even for the passage where it was included, it is not dark enough. Or make the images less bright.

*Adamā€™s Family, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Pennywise from IT, etcā€¦
**the PC is supposed to have a set personality, which ends up showing choices being already made for youā€¦
***Iā€™ve reviewed their entries to other game jams.

1 Like

Sunny-Side Up by PetricakeGames

Note: this was also submitted to the Bare-Bones Jam

Summary: Explore the mind of a man dedicated to shaping the world as he sees fit. Guide the family to safety, strengthen the hideous past to exact revenge or doom them all. One thing is certain: no one escapes the influence of the patriarch.

Thoughts: This is one twisted story. What starts as strange becomes bleaker by the passage, as you get deeper within the manā€™s value/moral/views. Though well written, this was not an easy read, due to the implicit and explicit violence depicted in the text. The reality of the situation, though, is subtlety told through the list of choices - just a few words to show how insane all of it is.
I didnā€™t have the stomach to hunt for the other endingsā€¦

1 Like

The Haunting of Corbitt House by Arlan Wetherminster

Summary: A private eye investigates a haunted house.

Thoughts:ā€¦ which is what I had hoped to get toā€¦ but :woman_shrugging: either something went wrong, or Iā€™m just stupid. Unfinished review againā€¦
A case falls on your lap and you are tasked to investigate a haunted house. But before you get to the property, you must do some research (because you are a very serious PI, even if the case is silly in your eyes, and you need the money?). So off you go, to the library, the courthouse, and the newspaper, to hunt for clues and background. Talk to some people search about, and learn some stuff (no wonder the house is haunted)ā€¦
But thatā€™s where I got stuck. I talked to anyone one wanted to lend an ear about the case, showed my clues to people, ran around time again and again trying to look at everything and stillā€¦ I was not allowed to get to the house.

From what Iā€™ve played however, it seems like the game is supposed to follow a specific order of actions, which if you miss by one, might throw off conversation flow (or maybe not and the conversation are just awkward).

If anyone manages to get further, please let me know what I missed:

a raid report, excerpt 1-3, unpublished story

EDIT: There was another element that was required to unlock another destination before you can go to the house (I still donā€™t get why you canā€™t be a maverick detective but :woman_shrugging: ), but then I got stuck again inside the house unable to unlock a door (and you canā€™t just hit the door with a hammerā€¦). Soā€¦ giving up again.

Are we spoiled with the inclusion of walkthroughs with entries now?

1 Like

Latter-Day Pamphlets by Robert from High Tower Games

Summary: These Latter-Day Pamphlets narrate the many trials of the British Empire in the 19th century, as she slowly began her inexorable descent. You cannot save everything; indeed, you may not be able to salvage much of anything. Every choice has a cost.

Thoughts: You lose or you loseā€¦ the question remains, how bad do you lose?
Well, pretty badly depending on your choices. You are given a pile of scenarios, randomly ordered, for which you must choose a course of action. Each action has different level of success (well, lowest amount of loss) for different element of your society (Culture, Military, Religion, Social Classes, Coloniesā€¦). The further you go down history, the worse your success will be, the worse your fall.
The writing is humorous, taking jabs at different historical events and groups (hurr durr, the Frenchā€¦ and the poor, and the communists, and women getting votesā€¦). Itā€™s very much a British kind of humour, dry and prickly. But thatā€™s also what makes it funny.

Some little confusing things (which I figured out after replaying):

• it was unclear what the percentage were at first. Were they success rolls? or difficulty rolls? Since every link is the same colour, it wasnā€™t really clear how to differentiate things.
  • though the choices give an indication on who would be affected by what, not having an idea of the starting states makes it a bit hard to balance things. Some stats bar would have been welcomed here.
  • the popping state change at the bottom of the screen disappears waaaay too quickly. If your eyes are not fixing the bottom of the page as soon as you click, youā€™ll miss it. A few more seconds (maybe 5 with a slow fade) would be great!
  • Also, while we have a set score at the end (14 on my first try :joy: ), itā€™d be fun to know how bad we messed up which section. Just for the lolz.

Still, always fun to destroy the British Empire.
:fr:

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to review my game @manonamora :grinning:. Youā€™re actually the second person to mention the fear meter is distracting which is good to know. I thought it might help as some of the game changes a bit in response to how high it is, but sounds like it may have been better not being there or with a toggle to allow it to be turned off.

I think the most straightforward way to get to the three main endings probably is:
(spoilers below :slight_smile: )

Ending 1 (Captured): Keep picking options that sound like youā€™ll get more creeped out and/or observe and move closer to the pool. At some point you should look at the waterā€™s edge.

Ending 2 (Indecision): Pick all the options that sound like they should help keep fear at bay and donā€™t concentrate on the pool as much as possible. (For example look to the sky rather than the pool, clear your mind etc. Do not look at the waterā€™s edge. When given the option to flee, hesitate instead.

Ending 3 (Flee): Pick all the options that sound like they should help keep fear at bay and donā€™t concentrate on the pool as much as possible. (For example look to the sky rather than the pool, clear your mind etc. Do not look at the waterā€™s edge at any point. When given the option to flee, make sure you choose to run without hesitating.

Hope this helps :). If itā€™s still not working let me know and I can write out a choice by choice version.

1 Like

Mothman Test by Sara S. Messenger

Summary: You do not believe in mothmen. Your brother is not dead.

Thoughts: A short but effective horror tale with a lot of unsaid. The implementation of a questionnaire is strange but works well here (knowing the protagonistā€™s age), very interesting use of interactivity. The writings were on the wall and still I was distracted by what was not, and the end shocked me more than I thought it would. DANG!
As with any test, I scored poorly: only a crescent.

2 Likes

Red Haze / Bruma Roja by rubereaglenest

Note: this was also submitted to the Spanish EctoComp (but only played the English one) and the Bare-Bones Jam

Summary: An interactive nightmare

Thoughts: Even though the game is fairly short, I only managed to get to two endings (it is quite gruesome, with violent imagery, which considering what is happening with current events is really not easy to read). The interactivity and choices available are pretty confusing, but since this is supposed to be a nightmare, makes total sense. The branching seems quite complex, with paths seemingly looping back. Pretty impressive for something made (originally in Spanish) in 4h!

2 Likes

The Shattered Fortress by JazzTrap

Summary: Cryptid girlfriends gothic VN.

Thoughts: Not just cryptid but also cryptic. A short tale of heartbreak, betrayals, and a trip to Hell? I was a bit confused of who I was supposed to be at first, as multiple strands (POVs, but also past/future) are weaved together. I think I managed to piece some things together at the end. I understood that you are hunted by religious zealots while you try to save someone, and you meet the/a Devil?
For a less confused take: I liked the coloured portraits quite a bit!

1 Like

The Revenantā€™s Lament by 30x30

Summary: they call this tale of woe, the unfortunate ballad of John Cassidy King.

Thoughts: An interesting take on a Devilā€™s Deal, through the format of a told tale about a cowboy and his/her choices and the consequences. The imagery is quite vivid, through extensive prose, especially the description surrounding nature. The endings were pretty neat, as it reveals who you were talking to in the first place - my favourite being Temperanceā€™s and the Devilā€™s. The use of interactivity or lack thereof is pretty interesting as well, especially in the first part of the game.

And I am done with the EctoComp 2023!~
Unlessā€¦

La Petite Mort !

:joy:
Honestly didnā€™t think Iā€™d make it on time!

Le Grand Guignol - final thoughts

Since the category didnā€™t restrict the amount of time spent on the game, there was a bit more polish with the entries. Some really blew my mind, some made me laugh so hard, I got spooked quite a bit too! This year was a really fun bunch of games again, and Iā€™m glad I was able to play them all this time :slight_smile:
Yay~

Iā€™ll take a short break, and finish the Bare-Bones entries in a few days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the review! I really appreciate it!

Put-Peepā„¢ originally started as a four-hour challenge, so the story is fairly short, but I kept wanting to add depth and detail, and Iā€™m actually still updating it.

I hope it bridges some gap between horror and a bit of light-hearted comedy.

Iā€™d love to know what caused you to consult the walkthroughā€¦ out of curiosity, to gauge how hard I made it and if I can make it less difficult. Or confusing.

Sean.

It was brushing the line with the broom I didnā€™t really expect the command :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I also got stuck here! I tried with the mop at first, since I did get clued in on probably needing to do something to the lines, like cleaning them away, but when it didnā€™t work I figured it was the wrong tack and kept running around hoping to trigger something I had maybe missed.

I coded several different commands to do that, hoping I was pretty obvious with the text. Iā€™ll review that.

(Trying to figure out this spoiler tagā€¦)

I put
the mop and the broom in the same room so there would be some decision to be made. And I made sure that if you picked the wrong one, you would not get trapped with no ability to get the other. Examining the broom mentions its bristles, sharpened with age, so I hoped that would be a clue. Though now that you mention it, the mop might be something that could work, if cleaning the lines was something a mop could do, if the lines were fresh, or whatever, but as they were thick and old, I figured youā€™d need to cut the lines.

There are several commands to cut the lines.

Sever lines with broom
Sweep lines with broom
Clean lines (when holding the broom)

And I guess I didnā€™t want to make it too obvious. The game isnā€™t all that hard, and not a lot of puzzles, so I hoped this would be ok.

1 Like