Slow compile with a lot of "if" conditions

I noticed that my compile time increased by a huge amount (factor of 10?) when I had an “if” statement with a lot of conditions, like this:

the fork is a thing.
fork has a number called b1.
fork has a number called b2.
fork has a number called b3.

instead of examining yourself:
    if (b1 of fork is 1 and b2 of fork is 5 and b3 of fork is 3) or (b1 of fork is 3 and b2 of fork is 90 and b3 of fork is 100) or (b1 of fork is 3 and b2 of fork is 1 and b3 of fork is 8) or (b1 of fork is 4 and b2 of fork is 5 and b3 of fork is 2):
	say "Special fork state.";

Hopefully this doesn’t come up often, but I thought I’d mention it.

I have Windows build 6L38.

1 Like

Huh, interesting. Do you know which phase of the compilation it’s slowing down in? (There’s a tab for compiler output you can look in.)

It seems to hang up between

“I’ve also read English Language by Graham Nelson, which is 2288 words long.”


“The 415-word source text has successfully been translated into an intermediate description which can be run through Inform 6 to complete compilation.”

1 Like

Is it any faster if you split it up manually into nested ifs? I’m not trying to troubleshoot, I’m just interested.

Also, you asking programming questions is hopefully a sign of things to come… :grinning:

Yes, it’s pretty easy to work around. In the example above, I can just write a series of “ifs” that each do the same thing.

I had a similar thing happen when copying some code from Delightful wallpaper. It has a big list of conditions for being immaterial, like “Instead of dropping or touching or pushing or…” and when I added it in, the game slowed down a ton, but not when I split it up.

Huh, interesting. That to me implies that the part of ni that handles conjunctions is having some problems. Unfortunately, that’s not something we can debug or fix without the source code; for now, breaking it up is the only real solution.

1 Like