Site overload?

Hi all,

I’ve been getting 429 error messages regularly the last few days when trying to visit here.

That’s too much traffic, right?

Don’t know if/how anything can be done, but I thought I’d mention it.

4 Likes

Had the same error appear for me a couple of days ago.

1 Like

I get them frequently, especially if I have the site open in more than one tab.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this as well, and am inquiring behind the scenes if there’s a remedy, or if it’s just perhaps holiday traffic.

2 Likes

If it’s due to holiday traffic, things have appeared to have dropped off precipitously, so maybe it won’t crop up as much.

1 Like

Side-note: People are reporting their web sites slowing down (or outright stalling) due to Mastodon’s automated link preview feature. If a link is posted to the Fediverse, hundreds (thousands?) of Mastodon servers will query the link’s server for a page preview.

This has been called a DDOS, although obviously it’s not malicious. I suspect the reason this is becoming noticeable now is the rise in Mastodon accounts generating more traffic than ever.

I’m not passing this on lightly. Over the past week I’ve noticed on my personal blog an increase in bot traffic and HTTP 500s. A large portion of the traffic was Mastodon or Mastodon-like instances (Pleroma being the #2 offender). What’s more, it comes in bursts from across a range of IP addresses. (This is why it looks like a DDOS attack.)

As far as I can tell, this traffic is due to me posting exactly two (2) links to Mastodon for my own server.

Anyway—no idea if this is related to intfiction.org’s woes, but thought I’d pass it on. I don’t mean to alarm.

3 Likes

I’ve also posted a Mastodon link, so don’t take all the blame! That obviously will need to be something that gets worked out in the future as Mastodon gains popularity.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really look like traffic has had any spikes…

2 Likes

There’s one error in the forum logs which doesn’t look like it would be causing 429 errors, but the bug has been fixed so I’ll update the forum software just in case it is the cause.

3 Likes

Oh, that makes sense! I wondered why I couldn’t access the site for a few hours.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t realize we even had enough members on this forum for there to be 10,000-15,000 logged in at the same time.

3 Likes

I think that’s requests/day. A very low number, if so.

1 Like

I wondered why I couldn’t access the site for a few hours.

There was a plugin configuration error for a couple of hours last night.

4 Likes

Yeah, you can see in the about page that we get about 4K posts/month (actually that would be higher than usual because of the IFComp), and have a little over 500 active users in a month.

It’s not a super busy forum, but I think it has a good level of activity.

4 Likes