Single Objects/Plural Objects and VERB IT

What to do about this situation?

Code:

Lab is a room. 

The rock is here. The description is "A green rock."

The stones are here. The stones are plural-named. The description is "Some purple stones.".

Understand "stone" as stones.

Which is a problem if the player does this:

Lab

You can see a rock and some stones here.

x stone

Some purple stones.

get it

Taken.

i

You are carrying:

a rock

Is there a way around this? I saw a few threads which dealt with something kind of like this, but the objects were so different that a DTPM rule would fix the problem. Not so here, though. Thoughts?

Does saying “the stones are ambiguously plural” get you where you need to go?

3 Likes

YES! I never saw that before. Thanks!

This happens because inform sees the rock as singular and the stones as plural, therefore “them” is the stones and “it” is the rock. You can type “pronouns” to check and confirm this. You can manually set this like so with a small extension I cooked up just for this, a decade back or so.

"Test"

Include Pronoun Setting by Brent Worthington.

Lab is a room.

The rock is here. The description is "A green rock.".

Some stones are here. The description is "Some purple stones.".

Carry out examining the stones: set the it pronoun to the stones.

Understand "stone" as stones.

Test me with "x stone / get it / i".

Pronoun Setting.i7x (1.6 KB)

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

As I suspected from the relevant I6 code, this only works if the initial item is singular not plural, like the stones are in this case.

You can also write this like this.

Some stones are here.

Using “Some” makes the following item plural.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I can’t say they were plural-named and ALSO ambiguously plural or the problem remains, so clearly the plural-named thing takes precedence.

I never do this right the first time and always have to fix it in play testing. I don’t know why setting the correct indefinite article at the get-go is so hard for me.

It took me years to finally figure that one out completely, but these 4 points should get you the right result pretty much all of the time.

1. If the item is standard singular, then “A/An/The [item]” should be enough.
The [item] is here.
  1. If the item is standard plural, then “Some [item]” should be enough.
Some [item] is here.
  1. If the item has an indefinite quantifier but is singular (like “some water” or “some salt”), then use “The [item]” and then set the indefinite article to “some”. That way the item is singular but is prefixed by “some”. If the item is plural (like “some flowers” or “some bricks”) then follow 2.
The [item] is here. The indefinite article of the [item] is "some".
  1. If the item has a group word but is plural (like “an army of ants” or “a flock of birds”), then use “Some [item]” and then set the indefinite article to "a"or “an”. That way the item is plural but is prefixed by “a/an”. If the item is singular (like “a carton of milk” or “a slice of cheese”), then follow 1.
Some [item] is here. The indefinite article of the [item] is "a/an".

Not sure if there’s some really rare case that I’ve missed out but I believe this covers pretty much all cases.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

why are you always such a fussy command?
don’t want no inference, don’t want no second noun
well don’t you know the grammar is just doing the best it can
so verb it, just verb it

3 Likes

Weird Al would be proud.

1 Like

Wow! Amongst your huge list of talents, you’re also an aspiring rap artist! :slight_smile: