Simple actions?

I’m very new to inform (yes another n00b) but i’ve run into what seems like a really simple problem. However, I’ve tried many different ways to do the same thing and they all break down.

In the defence section is a thing called a bench. The bench is fixed in place. After sitting on bench: say “AH…”
is what i have written.

However, i keep getting this
You wrote ‘After sitting on bench’ , which seems to introduce a rule taking effect only if the action is ‘sitting on bench’. But that did not make sense as a description of an action. I am unable to place this rule into any rulebook.

I’ve looked in many manuals and i think i’m doing the right thing.

Any help
Thanks

When you take a look at the Actions index, you’ll find:

The command SIT ON BENCH triggers an action called “entering”. So you might want to rephrase your after-rule:

Edit (see Skinny Mike’s post):

After entering the bench: say "AH..."

(Note that to really be able to enter the bench you must define the bench as an enterable supporter.)

– Christian

As ChristianB said, you can find out what commands lead to what actions by looking in the actions index (scroll down to the lower part of the page). You can also type “actions” at the command prompt in a game running in the IDE, which puts the game into a mode which will show you what action is being tried. Note that you have to successfully compile a game at least once for either of these to work. What I do is start every project with a single room only (“Lab is a room.”) and hit “go” which compiles it and sets up the index.

Also, he meant: After entering the bench: say "Ah...".

I think you also have to specify the bench as an enterable supporter in order to allow a player to enter (i.e., sit on) it.

Robert Rothman