ShuffleComp: Disc Two

The download link for By the Lake is broken. The correct link appears to be nigeljayne.ca/scd2downloads/ … 20lake.ulx [with a lowercase L].

Fixed it. Sorry about that. I swear I checked all the links before uploading.

Neil

It may well have worked, if you were looking at it on a case-insensitive Windows machine before uploading to a case-sensitive Unix webserver.

Just ran across another broken link, near the top, for the ALAN interpreter – it’s missing “http://” in front.

Got it. Thanks.

I think maybe the source for Everything We Do Is Games was meant to be present in the zipped folder…?

I’ll check with Doug and see if he wants to include it. You can see the source on the game’s website.

It’s just that the author’s notes specifically mention it, and the website makes it easy to access. That made me think it was always supposed to be part of the experience.

You can download the full website here: steak.place.org/games/everything … -games.zip

No need. If you mean it really isn’t relevant enough to be in the zipped folder of the shufflecomp (I’d rather not have to download every game individually, unless there’s an update - that’s what the zipped folder is for), which is every bit as official as the website, I can do without.

I would be fine with having that ZIP be distributed as part of the shufflecomp zipped folder.

I am aware that the byline for Comrade on the website doesn’t match the author’s name in the game itself. I was told during signup that the byline was to be Urist Uristson. I wasn’t told to change it for the release, and only noticed the discrepancy when playing the game today. I won’t be able to accept an updated version of the game now, but I will change the byline on the website if the author tells me to.

Neil

The ShuffleComp: Disc 2 games zip folder has been updated on the website. This update adds all the files for Everything We Do Is Games that are available on the game’s website.

Neil

So I at least tried all the games, except for the Alan one, can’t get it to play on my ancient Mac, it’s stuck on OS 10.7.5, I tried untarring the thing into the other thing but now it just segfaults instead of hanging, any ideas?

Er but anyway now I am working on an interactive, uh, non-fictional thingee, that can sort the games in random or non-random order, by either asking you questions first or not.

http://toastball.net/games/shufflecomp2015/

If you were looking for something to randomize the games for you, this can definitely do that already, probably. Beyond that… hmm, I don’t know if I would go so far as to say that it constitutes an actual review, exactly, but it does contain opinions, so perhaps that’s debateable… anyway my point was gonna be that you should all help me improve it by checking it out and allowing it to cleverly trick you into playing all the games and developing opinions about them so you can complain to me about how it didn’t do a very good job of sorting them appropriately. Plus then you can vote and post actual reviews etc and everybody wins maybe?

I wouldn’t consider this classification as any kind of review. I thought this was pretty
cool. Accurate, too, at least for me. I can see this being really useful for competitions with a lot of games.

Neil

I can’t really bring myself to be too excited either way. Just leaving it as it is would be the least amount of work for everyone, so I’m happy to default to that.

Thanks,
Roger / Urist / Comrade

[spoiler]Oh hey! Quick question regarding that: did you get to the “real” Texas Theatre at the end?

I’m afraid the real difficulty I’m giving Neil is being so damn absent the last month, but the main issue is that it links to a completely different twine game at the end, however tiny.
Giving two HTML files is a bit of a spoiler, and updating the game is, well, updating the game. Sorry for any confusion or trouble caused! I can simply provide both, if wanted.

Also: Only yesterday did I learn that Texas Instruments used to actually make video games, which would have been insanely convenient, story-wise.
Ah well.[/spoiler]

Thanks for the game sorter, Zaphod! I’m loving the games, and this has a fun way to go through them.

Here’s a thread for collecting Shufflecomp reviews! If you’ve written any reviews for ShuffleComp, please consider posting in it.

Thank you for that explanation, socksmeanie, I’ll PM you to keep the discussion “safe” for other gamers.

I have some nitpicky questions about the judging rules:

Does rating (but not reviewing) a game on IFDB count as “writing and publishing a review”, i.e., will it be counted as a yes vote? How about adding a game to an IFDB poll, with or without a comment?

Do reviews from people who aren’t voting count as yes votes? I’m thinking of MathBrush’s reviews on IFDB, although I guess it’s moot since it looks like they’re reviewing every single game in the comp.

“You may vote on your own game, or a game you tested. If you do this, you should also vote for at least two other games.” Does this only apply to Yes votes, or both Yes and No votes? Presumably I can’t just vote Yes on my own game and No on two other games, but I just wanted to clarify.

I tested three games; can I vote Yes on all of them without voting Yes for anything else? Or do I have to also vote Yes on 2*N other games that I didn’t test?

There are others who’ve written reviews on IFDB as well, and I have no idea if these people are voting, or if they’re aware of the implications of reviews for the competition. So it seems like a relevant question.