ShuffleComp: Disc Two

“Why the wait time between March 1st and March 16th? My Impression was that everyone is already pretty eager to get this started.”

A few reasons:

I was following last year’s lead, where I think songs were submitted over a two-week period (beginning March 27?).
Allowing submissions on the first doesn’t really get things under way any faster; people still need to wait until April 3 to get their shuffled playlists.
I don’t want people to send me their playlist on the 3rd, then some revisions a week later then more revisions a week later…
Building anticipation is good.

I don’t see any advantage in allowing song submissions before the 16. Does anyone else want earlier song submissions?

Neil

I don’t understand this:

Why are negative reviews interpreted as indicating that a game is worthy of commendation?

I think the idea was actually to discourage entirely negative reviews during the comp itself, giving the authors a bit of breathing space: as a reviewer, if you hate something so much that you don’t think it’s worth commending, then you’re meant to hold off until later.

Here’s what I wrote about the rule in last year’s wrap-up:

Yes, what Emily and Maga said. I couldn’t say it better. I’d like to keep the event as positive as possible, and I don’t think ShuffleComp suffered last year because of the policy. That being said, I do wonder if a few commended games were commended based on negative reviews. I wonder about that with my own entry, which received several negative reviews during the voting period.

Neil

This rule is one of the reasons I’m excited for the comp.

To clarify the last paragraph - which is a bit unclear out of context - I knew that I wanted the event to have less pressure on authors than the Comp imposes. The choices were either to take out voting entirely (which I think would have meant substantially fewer reviews) or to have voting, but to soften its impact in a number of ways.

Again, this was intended as an experiment; I have no strong opinion on whether it should be maintained. (I do think that it is important for comps to differentiate themselves from IF Comp, though.)

A nice side effect is that it discourages trolling entries because it minimizes the attention they get.

ShuffleComp: Disc 2 Comes Alive!

"This is a Public ShuffleComp Announcement, with guitars!"

Neil is engineering this year’s ShuffleComp, an event created and originally spun by Sam Kabo Ashwell last year. ShuffleComp is designed for experienced and novice interactive fiction authors to write a work inspired by music that other IF enthusiasts enjoy. After March 15, you can send Neil songs that you would like to be made into games. On April 3, he will shuffle all the songs together and create new playlists that will be distributed to entrants, who then write a game inspired by at least one of the songs on the list. Pseudonyms can be submitted along with the songs. Authors, if they choose, can pick one to use as their byline. These works will be released in May, and anyone can play and vote for those that they were in tune with. The top 30% of games in sync with the voters will be deemed commended.

All the details of this year’s event are available at the ShuffleComp: Disc 2 webpage, nigeljayne.ca/shufflecomp2015.html Neil can be contacted at neil.butters (@ sympatico.ca).

"My fingers are bleeding!"

“To receive a playlist with the song contributors hidden, ask for your playlist to be done by Milli Vanilli.”

Nice touch!

I updated the ifwiki with this info.

Maybe this is clear from context, but when you say “midnight PST” you mean “the second midnight” - the one after 23:59 that day. Right?

Also, I guess you mean “PST with daylight savings time”, since that’s when the comp happens, and PST with DST (says wikipedia) is more accurately called PDT and evaluates to UTC-7.

Apologies for being picky about this, I’m just struggling with stuff like this at work…

Thanks for updating the wiki.

“midnight PST” you mean “the second midnight” - the one after 23:59 that day. Right?"

Yes. Is that really considered a second midnight? 00:01 is considered morning; it doesn’t seem that it’s night of the following day.

UTC-7 is correct. I’ll update the webpage.

Neil

It has come to my attention that the webpage may be difficult to read because of the color scheme. I’m trying to fix that. If it continues to be a problem, please let me know.

Neil

I see you shifted the gradient farther to the left. It might be better to lighten it up instead (or in addition).

Okay, thanks. I (should) have now removed the left vertical gradient completely. I’ll add it again when I can be sure of what it looks like.

Neil

You could leave the gradient as it was and add a 20% left margin to the text. Then the text wouldn’t overlap with the graphics.

It’s not that simple. :slight_smile: The gradient is a percentage of the total window width, so it will always overlap the text if the window is wide enough.

(There are many ways to solve this problem, of course.)

(Unless you meant make the text left margin 20% of the window width? That should indeed work, sorry.)

Is it OK if two authors enter as team? 8 A-list songs total, up to 8 B-list songs total, 8 pseudonyms total, the game entry is one game total written under a single pseudonym.

Yes, authors can team up to write a game, and yes restricting yourself to one playlist would also be great. An individual member of a team, however, can submit another playlist if he or she is planning on writing his or her own game, independent of the team and based on another shuffled playlist. You can use two pseudonyms, though. I don’t see a problem in using as many pseudonyms as there are authors, or you could come up with a collective pseudonym, like the fictional name of a band.

I’ll see if I can mention this in the rules somewhere.

Neil