Shufflecomp 2 Inspiration-Off

The Google Translation doesn’t really allay those concerns, either.

It was one of my first ideas! Unfortunately, you see exactly what I found.

My one non-English song was in Spanish, aka The Easiest Language To Fudge Some Comprehension Of On The Basis Of Some Other Romance Language Plus Loanwords. My conclusion was that the lyrics could be roughly summarised as ‘girl, tonight is the night for sex, an activity at which I am highly proficient.’ Google Translate confirmed but did not elaborate on this reading.

Also, I am thoroughly enjoying listening to the full submitted-tracks list. I am enjoying it even more because I can do so at my leisure and don’t have to pay close attention for trigger-warning content.

Why is it when people say Portuguese they often mean, in fact, Brazilian. [emote]:P[/emote]

[rant]I know why, of course, technically Brazilian is Portuguese, or at the very least a dialect of Portuguese, so you are technically correct. I have always found Brazilian to be sufficiently different from Portuguese to warrant being its own language, but all the evidence of the world is against me, so no need to tackle me on this on.[/rant]

[rant=another rant]Then of course we were forced into Brazilian ortography just because. I still rage about that. If you were English and were forced to write in American for the same “just because” reasons you’d understand.[/rant]

[rant=a third rant related to the second rant]Because the reason Brazilian ortography is different is because the language is phonetically different. In Portuguese there are - they’re trying to erradicate them, but they’re still there - various letters that you don’t read. But they definitely affect the stress of the word. In “Recepção” (reception) you don’t read the P; it sounds like re-CÉ-ssão. But now that they’ve forced us to remove the P, it reads receção, which in PORTUGAL Portuguese should be read re-ce-SSÃO, just like recessão (recession). In Brazilian it doesn’t make a difference because their vowels are more open, so the distinction doesn’t arise, but it bloody well does in Portugal Portuguese.[/rant]

Ok, I’m done ranting. [emote]:)[/emote]

[rant]There’s more Brazilian speakers than all other Portuguese variants combined, so I kind of think if anyone should go through the inconvenience of changing their ISO language code it’s not us. Also everyone lost someone they loved in the orthographic accords, man. I’m still mourning the trema.[/rant]

Didn’t know you were Brazilian, otherwise I’d have toned down a bit. Sorry.

[rant]Not that the number of people speaking the language makes much difference. Otherwise American English would have dwarfed English. And the differences between Brazilian and Portuguese are bigger than the differences between American and English. If English people aren’t forced to spell “armor” and “color” there’s no way I’ll be forced to spell “receção” without a fight.

I don’t think the ortography change was good for anyone. I respect Brazilian as a separate language. I think it deserves to be considered on its own rather than a subset of Portuguese. Apart from the linguistics, it evolved in a very different mindset than Portugal Portuguese, and the language reflects that in very interesting ways.

Trying to melt them together is just wrong. That’s why I still get riled up when I see places saying “Language: Portuguese”. And they show the Brazilian flag.[/rant]