Showing line when variable true

Twine Version: 2
Story Format: Harlowe

I’m using a prompt to set a variable. The reader is choosing from about 10-12 options
(set: $followup to (prompt: “Enter your choice:”, “”))
(if: ($followup is 9)) [(set: $now to 1)]
(if: ($followup is 10)) [(set: $now to 1)]

and then $now reveals links in various passages that were not there before. That’s the idea.
(if: $now is 1)[Choice: [[Start the…]] ]

that didn’t work. I couldn’t even get $now to be assigned to 1.

I also tried (show:

(set: $followup to (prompt: “Enter your choice:”, “”))
(if: ($followup is 9) or ($followup is 10)) [(show:?now)]

then in various passages…
|now)[Choice: [[Start the…]] ]

that didn’t work

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Please use the Preformatted Text option when including code examples within a comment, doing so will stop the forum software converting valid standard single & double quotes into invalid Typographical (curly) single & double quotes. It also makes the code easier to read and to copy-n-paste into a test project for debugging.

If you look at the usage example of the (prompt:) macro you will see that the macro returns a String value. eg. the (prompt: String, String) → String line of the related documentation.

So if the end-user inputs a numerical value like 9 into the prompt field the String value returned by the macro will be "9", so you need to change the conditional expressions of your (if:) macros to test for String values. Also as each of your conditional expressions are mutually exclusive (eg. $followup can equal both 9 & 10) you should use an (else-if:) macro for the 2nd & last conditional expressions of that set.

(set: $followup to (prompt: "Enter your choice:", ""))
(if: $followup is "9")[(set: $now to 1)]
(else-if: $followup is "10")[(set: $now to 1)]

notes:

1. You don’t need the parenthesis you had around your condition expressions.
  2. There should be no white space characters between a macro call and its associated hook.
  3. If the $now variable represents a true/false or yes/no or on/off type of boolean state then you should make it a Boolean variable. eg. (set: $now to true) or (set: $now to false). If you do change the variable to a Boolean then you would use conditional expressions like the following to test its current state.
(if: $now)[The variable current equals true]
or
(if: not $now)[The variable current equals false]
  1. The (show:) macro only reveals hidden hooks that are contain in the ‘current’ Passage, or Passages that are included into the ‘current’ Passage’s generated HTML contents.

Thank you Greyelf. Putting quotes around my string values solved all my problems. With that my other workarounds worked too.

Much appreciated.