Should "Mentioned" Property Be Set on First Game-Start Look?

To illustrate what I mean, I have this:

A tourist robot called Floyd is in Palace Gate.

Rule for writing a paragraph about Floyd when Floyd is in the location of the player:
	say "Your paid-for tourist robot, [Floyd], is here."

Every turn:
	say "[if Floyd is mentioned]Floyd mentioned[otherwise]Floyd not mentioned."

This results in the following output:

Palace Gate
Your paid-for tourist robot, Floyd, is here.

>i
You are carrying nothing.

Floyd not mentioned.

>look
Palace Gate
Your paid-for tourist robot, Floyd, is here.

Floyd mentioned
>

Notice how Floyd isn’t marked as mentioned until the second LOOK, not the first automatic one. I’m just curious if there’s an understanding that this is by design. I also realize this might be very much an edge case. It was just something I ran into and was curious about.

Also note that I did try to include “[Floyd]” in the square brackets in the rule in case that was part of the issue.

I was thinking that perhaps this is because the LOOK fires first and only then is the rule consulted. And therefore it’s too late for the mentioned property to be set, which is why it only happens on subsequent LOOK commands. So I tried this:

Rule for writing a paragraph about Floyd when Floyd is in the location of the player:
	say "Your paid-for tourist robot, [Floyd], is here.";
	now Floyd is mentioned.

Basically adding that Floyd is specifically mentioned. But that, too, does not work. It leads to the same output as above.

“Mentioned” tracks whether a thing has been mentioned this turn, not whether it has been mentioned at any point during the game. In the example output if you type one more non-look command you’ll notice that it has gone back to being not mentioned.

Ah, got it! Thank you and confirmed. What threw me off was this line from the manual:

“Inform keeps track of which objects have already been named with an either/or property called ‘mentioned’, which it assigns whenever the name of an object has been automatically printed.”

The key addition to that is “…only in the current turn.”

I guess that still leaves open though why Floyd wasn’t considered mentioned in the “first turn” since he clearly was. But that would likely be because that first LOOK is not actually the first turn.

So the rule, it seems, is something is marked as “mentioned” only for a given turn and will not be marked as mentioned during the first action of the game. If I’m understanding this correctly, that is.

The issue there is just that every turn rules don’t run at the start of game. If you change the rule to “after looking” it prints “mentioned” as expected.

You are correct- the first LOOK that prints that first room description is invoked by the last of the rules to run in the startup rulebook, before the first turn begins.
The rule sequence of the first turn then begins with getting input from the player, then setting every object to being unmentioned before starting to deal with the first action (take inventory, in the example script).