Short, kid-friendly IF

A friend of mine wants to introduce her not-quite-eight-year-old to interactive fiction, and she’s looking for a short, kid-appropriate game that is extremely newbie-friendly. I suggested Wishbringer and Aotearoa, but they’re not all that short. Does anyone have a great bite-sized suggestion?

The Sleeping Princess might be your best bet. It’s a bit bigger than bite-sized, but still very short. Kids are the intended audience, so the language and puzzles are simple. It even has a built-in tutorial. The only drawback is that the tutorial isn’t integrated into the story; it’s a separate mode invoked by typing TUTORIAL at the beginning of the game. (And you have to read the ABOUT text to find out about the TUTORIAL command. And if you don’t play the tutorial before you start the story mode, it won’t let you do it later, even though the ABOUT text still suggests it.)

You can also have a look at the IFDB poll Games suitable for children.

The name might take a bit of explaining, but The Game Formerly Known as Hidden Nazi Mode is very kid-friendly and can be played in just a few minutes.

“Winter Wonderland” (the one by Laura Knauth) is very cool, but also not short. Why not “For a Change?”

“Mite” is short and kid-oriented, but I don’t know if it’s really newbie-friendly enough – it doesn’t have tutorial mode or anything as I recall.

Lost Pig would be very appealing to kids, though some of the puzzles are conceptually tricky, so have an adult around too :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the help!

It’s been a while, so I can’t remember if it’s PG or PG13, but when her kid is a little older, I suggest Arrival, or Attack of the B-Movie Cliches for HTML Tads.

htads_playkit_2513.exe (v3.0.18.1)

Hi, All,

Kids really like “Mrs. Pepper’s Nasty Secret,” and it’s not too hard to read. It may a bit too long, though.

Peace,
Brendan Desilets

Ratings for this IF are here:

It’s not very user friendly, but will appeal to the kid in all of us!
Sorry I can’t help with the child friendly games.

I don’t know if there’s a Scooby Doo Mysteries game (I’m pretty sure there is one somewhere), but that might be a good one for you.

I don’t even have to use the spoiler tag to say this:
[rant]“And I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn’t been for (wait for it) you meddling kids!”[/rant]

Flash IF Scooby list (http://www.lovey8.com/se/scooby%20doo)

I would reccommend “The Chasing”.

ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=zpjzp8drlwozs0j0