Seeking beta testers for an IF in German language (Inform7/glulx)

Hello,

I just finished an IF in German language, so I’m searching for German speaking beta testers.
The game was written in Inform7 (Glulx File).

The game is a classic text adventure and pays homage to the Sci-Fi pop culture of the late 1970s.

I hope, to find some german speakers, who are willing to help. Every feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance
Heiko

Hallo,

ich suche Beta-Tester für ein deutschsprachiges Textadventure. Das Spiel wurde mit Inform7 und der GerX-Erweiterung geschrieben und ist im Glulx-Format.

Es ist eine Hommage an die SciFi-Popkultur der späten 70er-Jahre und sollte sich, wie ich hoffe, als etwas leichtfüßiges, klassisches Textadventure spielen.

Es wäre toll, wenn sich jemand zum Betatesten auf diesem Weg finden würde. Jedes Feedback wäre großartig.

3 Likes

I am happy to give it a go! Cheers!

1 Like

Great. Thank you.

1 Like

German native speaker reporting for beta testing duty …

Jens

2 Likes

Terrific. Thank you, too.

Hej Heiko,

ich bin möglicherweise etwas spät, aber nicht weniger interessiert zu Testen!
(Nicht zuletzt weil ich selbst gerne ein deutsches IF mit Inform 7 machen / übersetzen würde.)

Beste Grüße
Olaf

I’m possibly a bit late, but no less interested in testing!
(Not least because I would like to make / translate a German IF with Inform 7 myself).

1 Like

Hi Olaf,

vielen Dank für das Angebot. Das Spiel ist mittlerweile getestet und veröffentlicht (und später nochmal mit Hilfe einiger sehr hilfreicher English-sprachigen Betatestern in Englische übersetzt worden). Das Spiel ist z.B. hier zu finden: Jäger der heiligen Steine
Falls du Zeit und Lust hast mal reinzuschauen, würde ich mich natürlich über ein Transkript oder einige Anmerkungen freuen. Es wurde zwar schon einige Probleme der ersten Version verbessert, aber in der deutschen Version werden wohl immer noch einige unvermeidliche Typos und Parser-Probleme drin sein, die ich gerne nochmal mit einem weiteren Update inkrementell verbessern würde.

Falls du ein Inform7- Spiel in deutscher Sprache schreibst oder eines übersetzt, würde ich mich freuen, Teil des Beta-Tester-Teams zu sein. Ich hatte viel Glück, sehr engagierte Beta-Tester zu haben, die mir sehr geholfen hatten (es war das erste Mal, dass ich etwas in Inform7 mit der GerX-Erweiterung geschrieben hatte).

Viele Grüße
Heiko

Hi Olaf,

thanks a lot for the offer. The game has been tested and released (and later translated into English with the aid of some very helpful English-speaking beta testers). The German version of the game can be found here, for example: Jäger der heiligen Steine
If you want to have a look at it, I would be happy about a transcript or some comments. I have already fixed some problems of the initial German version, but it will still have some unavoidable typos and parser problems in it, which I would like to improve with another update.

If you write an Inform7 game in German, I would be happy to be part of your beta tester team. I was very lucky to have very dedicated beta testers who helped me a lot (it was my first experience with Inform7 and the GerX extension).

Heiko

1 Like

Hallo Heiko,
sorry, dass ich mich erst jetzt zurück melde…

Ich hab schon ein bisschen den Jäger gespielt und den ersten Stein erhalten. Eine schöne Mischung aus Indy Jones und Marty McFly! :wink:
Im Moment möchte ich mich lieber etwas auf die IFComp Einreichungen konzentrieren, aber ich melde mich wenn es soweit ist!

Wenn ich ein Spiel auf Deutsch mache komme ich ebenfalls gerne auf dich zurück! Ich hatte ein bisschen gehofft, dass es irgendwann eine GerX Version für das aktuelle Inform 7 geben wird, aber es gibt da wohl tieferliegende Ursachen / Gründe / Probleme… Oder weisst du da zufällig mehr?

Beste Grüße
Olaf

Hello Heiko,
Sorry that I’m only getting back to you now…

I’ve already played the hunter a bit and got the first stone. A nice mix of Indy Jones and Marty McFly! :wink:
At the moment I’d rather concentrate a bit on the IFComp submissions, but I’ll report back when the time comes!

If I make a game in German I’ll be happy to come back to you as well! I had hoped a bit that there will be a GerX version for the current Inform 7 at some point, but there seem to be deeper causes / reasons / problems… Or do you know more about that?

Best regards
Olaf

Hi Olaf,

ich bin gerade auch bei aktuelleren IF-Spielen. So rätsele ich schon eine ganze Weile an “Faeries of Haelstowne”.
Leider weiß ich auch nicht mehr zu einer neuen Version der GerX-Erweiterung. Es gab mal Forum-Posts in 2018 die grundlegende Probleme mit neueren Versionen von Inform beschreiben: http://forum.ifzentrale.de/viewtopic.php?t=855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Ich selbst hatte keine Probleme mit der alten 6G60 Inform7-Version, zumal sich auch noch die alten Inform7-Extensions finden lassen (sind leider nicht alle kompatibel zur GerX-Erweiterung, gerade die Umfangreicheren). Als ich das Spiel dann übersetzt habe, bin ich der Einfachheit halber bei der alten 6G60-Version geblieben.

Viele Grüße
Heiko

Hi Olaf,

I am also playing recent IF games. At the moment I’m puzzling on “Faeries of Haelstowne” for quite a while now.
Unfortunately I don’t know more about a new version of the GerX extension either. There are forum posts from 2018 describing some basic problems with newer versions of Inform:
http://forum.ifzentrale.de/viewtopic.php?t=855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

I myself had no problems with the old 6G60 Inform7 version, especially since old Inform7 extensions can still be found (unfortunately not all of them are compatible with the GerX extension).

Best wishes
Heiko

1 Like

Hi Heiko
it’s been a while (I think it was back in 2016) since we heard from Graham Nelson about Inform 8. All versions above 6G60 suffer from incomplete toolsets for foreign languages. Some (I think it was Italian and Spain have made some “workarounds” to be able to get basic functionality but as far as I know there’s nothing complete and reliable out.
I don’t know about the future plans. I could imagine picking the project up again when a new version comes out but I think nobody knows about the exact time plan.
So far I’ll stick to my german libraries of TADS and DIALOG which is enough work for me for now.
Greetings,
–Michael

2 Likes

Hi Michael,
I was not aware of the (technical) backgrounds. Thanks for the post and the clarification.

Best wishes
Heiko

P.S.: I didn’t know that there is a German library extension for Dialog. Thanks for the hint.

It’s a bit outdated (V45) as the english lib is now V46 but as soon as I have a few spare minutes I’ll update it.

2 Likes

(Continuing the off-topic discussion, sorry.)

I’m the maintainer of the French extension, and I disagree. Only the last version, 6M62, causes problems. In my opinion, 6L38 is far superior to 6G60 regarding translations. And as for 6M62, the only issue is one feature (an important but optional one) that make the compiler crash, and the Italian and Spanish extensions just decided to do without.

Maybe German in particular has other issues with 6L38, I don’t know, but otherwise it would be cool to have a newer translation. (But it’s a big undertaking, and it may be best to wait for the next version of Inform, since it could change a lot of things.)

Now, whatever the version of Inform used, it’s always great to see new games in German! Unfortunately, my German is a bit too rusty, so I won’t be able to help.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting off-topic though! :smiley:

Yes indeed I remember there were several issues with 6L38. And Graham’s last email sounded like there were several complete changes so we decided to lay down our work until there is at least a beta version which addresses the many issues we wrote to Graham which have to be included to allow translations not only German but I think it concerns all other foreign languages too.
I think the approach was too high-level so the implementation got stuck.
I don’t want to put efforts into a version which is considered obsolete once Inform 8 comes out and 6G60 is very very fine for writing games in German language.

2 Likes