Second Gender - The Extension

It is rare that these issues come up in English, where, with rare exceptions, nouns for inanimate objects take the neuter pronoun. One exception which comes to mind is a ship, which properly takes the feminine pronoun.

Interestingly, people who ought to know better sometimes have trouble with the notion that a “thing” can be other than neuter. A while back, the New York Times ran an article in which it (incorrectly) referred to a ship as “it.” I was so offended that I wrote to the editor, who informed me that the Times style manual requires the neuter pronoun in such a case. What was interesting was his explanation for the reason behind their “rule”: a ship is inanimate, he explained, and therefore per se neuter. The idea that an inanimate object could take other than a neuter pronoun, which is a common feature of many languages, was so foreign to a (presumably literate) English-speaker that he could not accept it even in one of the rare cases where it is correct.

Robert Rothman

I doubt that this editor had literally no grasp of the common usage of the feminine for ships. He just used a different style guide than you do. In my mind, calling a ship “she” is something that boating professionals do, and it would be pretentious or inappropriate of me to do it. Though in general I’m in favor of more gender-neutral pronoun usage, not less, so I am biased here. And also I’m not a journalist, so my words are allowed a few eccentricities.