Seattle area IF meetup reboot

The next virtual meetup for the Seattle/Tacoma interactive fiction group will be on Sunday, March 6 from 2-4 PM PST via Discord. This month, our special guest Chandler Groover will present one of his Exceptional Stories from Fallen London. (We cleared this with Failbetter Games first.)

2 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, April 10, from 2 PM to 4 PM PDT via Discord. We’ll play and discuss samples of several different entries in this year’s Spring Thing festival.

Feel free to message me if you need the Discord link.

3 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, May 15, from 2 PM to 4 PM PDT via Discord. Ryan Veeder, Lance Campbell, and Polyducks will present and discuss Mud Warriors and their GB Studio adaptation.

4 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, June 5, from 2 - 4 PM PDT via Discord. This month we’ll discuss conversation systems for text games, with examples of several different styles and the strengths and weaknesses of each.

3 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, July 10, from 2 - 4 PM PDT via Discord. This month, Brian, Paul, and Angelique will lead a discussion on working with the Dialog development system.

3 Likes

I saw a link to the meetup on Emily Short’s blog. I just joined and can’t seem to message you, Greg. Could you message me with details for connecting to the meeting this Sunday?

1 Like

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, August 21, from 2 - 4 PM PDT via Discord. This month we’ll play and discuss Emily Short’s 2001 game Pytho’s Mask.

2 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, September 18, from 2 - 4 PM PDT via Discord. This month we’ll continue our playthrough and discussion of Pytho’s Mask .

3 Likes

Our annual IFComp virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, October 9, from 2 - 4 PM PDT via Discord. Like we’ve been doing for the last couple of years, group members who have an entry in this year’s competition are encouraged to present their games. We’ll play a sample of each game (about 30 min) and take questions as we go. Send me a message if you’d like to reserve a spot.

4 Likes

Is this the same Seattle IF group that’s here on ifwiki? Seattle IF Group - IFWiki

If so, is there anyone who would be willing to update the ifwiki page to fix any outdated links and info? The page is pointing to the Seattle Interactive Fiction official website, which doesn’t seem to work. Where should people go to find out meeting dates?

(It would be easy to add this meetup as a recurring event on the front page of ifwiki, but that won’t be very helpful if the Seattle IF Group wiki page is out of date, which is why I’m asking.)

3 Likes

Hoo boy, that’s an archaeological find! The current group is something like a hermit crab: in 2018 we found the shell of the old Seattle IF meetup group, and we live in it now.

I don’t have an IFWiki account, but if anyone else does and can update the entry pointing back here, that would be useful. We don’t currently have a web site.

2 Likes

Done. Who should I list as the current organizer(s)? Does the group meet monthly?

Thanks. Yep, we’re currently on a monthly schedule. The IFDB link (which does still work) lists the organizers.

1 Like

Ok, the three contacts from IFDB (Greg Frost, Spike, MathBrush) are now listed as organizers. Thanks!

It’s really easy to create an account - just go to Create account - IFWiki and choose a username and password. You might enjoy editing the wiki :slight_smile:

The November meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, November 13th from 2 - 4 PM PST via Discord. This month we’ll play a selection of entries from EctoComp 2022.

2 Likes

Can someone please DM me the Discord link? I’d like to join on Sunday. Thanks!

2 Likes

The next meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, December 4th from 2 - 4 PM PST via Discord.

This month we’ll be kicking off our December one-room game jam. All our members (and guests) are invited to create a tiny game that takes place in a single room. Playtime should be very short (5-10 minutes). This could be an opportunity to learn a new system, maybe one of those we’ve been discussing over this past year (Ink, Dialog, Adventuron, Dendry, etc.).

Bring an idea and a development system to pitch for the December meeting. We’ll then present the completed works at the January meeting.

3 Likes

The next meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, February 19th from 2 - 4 PM PST via Discord.

This month we’ll play and discuss Caelyn Sandel’s 2014 game Light My Way Home.

6 Likes

The next meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, March 19th from 2 - 4 PM PDT via Discord. (Note that Daylight Savings Time in the USA starts on March 12th; the Sunshine Protection Act passed the Senate last spring but died in committee in the House.)

This month we’ll play and discuss the 2015 puzzler Sub Rosa by Joey Jones and Melvin Rangasamy.

1 Like