Seattle area IF meetup reboot

As promised, we’ll be having the Seattle/Tacoma IF meetup virtually at 2pm PDT on Sunday, March 22. We’ll be playing A Beauty Cold and Austere. PM me for the link to the meeting. Feel free to join in, even if you don’t live anywhere near Seattle.

We’ll hold our next online meeting of the Seattle / Tacoma IF group on Sunday, May 17th at 2 PM PDT. Paul will give a short talk on the development of his IFComp 2019 game, The House on Sycamore Lane. We’ll also demo a few entries from the 2020 Spring Thing Festival of Interactive Fiction.

We maxed out Google Hangouts last time, so we’re using a Zoom account for this meeting. Meeting links will be sent out by email. If you are not already on the email list, please send a message to Paul or to me for the meeting code.

Since there was interest in going to a monthly schedule for the Seattle / Tacoma interactive fiction group, we’ll hold the next meeting by video conference on Sunday, June 14 from 2-4 PM PDT. Please let me know if you would like to attend and I will send out the link by email.

This time we’ll play the other two games that received “Best in Show” awards in Spring Thing 2020: Jelly by Tom Lento and Chandler Groover, and Hawk the Hunter by Jonathan B. Himes. If time allows, we’ll also discuss Ryan Veeder’s Authentic Fly Fishing (including spoilers).

1 Like

We’ll hold our next meeting on Sunday, August 16th from 2:00 to 4:30 PM. The meeting will be held via Google Meet; please contact me if you need the link.

We’ll play through Lynnea Glasser’s 2013 IFComp winner Coloratura, with the intent to finish the entire game in one sitting. (I’m told the normal play time is about an hour.) If you would like to volunteer to read/drive, please let me know.

If time allows, I would like to invite any of our members who have IFComp entries or other projects in progress to beta test their game with the group. Please let me know whether you’d like to reserve a spot. This will be on a first-come, first-serve basis and we’ll try to allow at least half an hour for each game.

Note that testers who participate in the IFComp judging may not rate the games which they have beta tested - see https://ifcomp.org/rules/ for more details.

We’ll have the next virtual meetup on Sunday, September 13th at 2 PM PDT. We’ll be finishing Lynnea Glasser’s Coloratura, followed by a discussion of the game’s narrative techniques, unique color-based mechanics, and other topics of interest.

I’ll send out the Google Meet link via email; please contact me if you need the link.

1 Like

We’ll be holding a special online meeting for IFComp this year on Sunday, October 11th from 2 PM to 4:30 PM via Google Meet. Five authors - Brian, Jared, Lance, Pace, and Paul - have signed up to present their entries in this year’s competition; we’ll play a sample of each game and take questions as we go.

I’ll send out the Google Meet link by email; please contact me if you need the link.

Since the competition judging period is extended this year, we’ll hold a special second IFComp online meeting on Sunday, November 15th from 2 PM to 4 PM via Google Meet. We’ll play samples of several more games from the competition and discuss them with the group.

As always, we’ll send out the Google Meet link by email. If you are not already on the email list, please contact Greg for a link.

1 Like

We’ll have the next virtual meetup on Sunday, December 13th from 2 PM to 4 PM PST via Google Meet. Nick Montfort will talk about his game Amazing Quest, and Lance will lead a group discussion about classifying the different types of puzzles in interactive fiction.

I’ll send out the Google Meet link by email; please contact me if you are not on the mailing list and need the link. If you have not already played Amazing Quest, please do so before the meeting in order to be ready to discuss it with the group.

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be Sunday, January 10, from 2pm to 4pm PST via Google Meet. Mike Russo (@DeusIrae) will be joining us for a playthrough and discussion of his game The Eleusinian Miseries.

Greg Frost (@okushimo) will be sending out the Google Meet link by email, so please contact him if you’re not on our mailing list.

And, since we’re remote, feel free to join us even if you don’t live in the Seattle area!

5 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be Sunday, February 21, from 2pm to 4pm PST via Google Meet. Mike Russo will be joining us again to continue playing and discussing his game The Eleusinian Miseries.

I’ll send out the meeting link in a calendar event. Please let me know if you’re not on the mailing list and need the link.

2 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be Sunday, March 21, from 2pm to 4pm PDT via Google Meet. This month, Hanon Ondricek (@HanonO) will be joining us to play and discuss his 2016 game Fair.

I’ll send out the Google Meet link by email; please contact me if you’re not on our mailing list. As always, you’re welcome to join us even if you’re not in the Seattle area.

1 Like

Hi, I’d like to join the meet on 3/21. I’m new to intfiction.org and don’t yet seem to be able to contact you using the site’s system. Can you send me a private message so that I can reply with my email address?
Thanks!

1 Like

Oh me too—I’m in the same boat as Liz, I am new here and would love to join the Meetup on 3/21, but can’t figure out how to send you a message, Greg. Apologies for that, please advise :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem. I’ll send you the meeting link via PM. You can reply with your email address if you want to be put on the mailing list for future events as well.

1 Like

This was a total blast! Reading IF with a group was so much fun and not as terrifying as I was anticipating. Thanks to Greg and everyone for inviting me and participating!

6 Likes

Thanks very much for joining us! I’m glad that you had a good experience; we really appreciated hearing you read and talk about your game.

3 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, April 18, from 2 PM to 4 PM PDT via Google Meet. We’ll play and discuss samples of several different entries in this year’s Spring Thing festival.

As always, I’ll send out the Google Meet link to the email list. Please send me a message if you’d like the link or want to join the mailing list for future events. Feel free to join us even if you’re not in the Seattle area; it’s been great to be able to have people from all over join us for these meetings!

2 Likes

The next virtual meetup of the Seattle/Tacoma IF group will be on Sunday, May 16, from 2-4 PM PDT via Google Meet. Abigail Corfman (@AbigailCorfman) will be joining us to discuss and play a demo of her new game Open Sorcery: Sea++ (available on Steam).

3 Likes

Hi Greg, I am yet another new member who can’t figure out how to send a PM :slight_smile:. Can you please send me a link for the next meetup? Thanks!

1 Like

One thing you can do in messages is “at” someone (like @okushimo ) which will put the message in a user’s notifications since you mentioned them.

2 Likes