Rules that Don't Interrupt Other Rules

Is there a way to have something happen whenever a player goes to a room, without preventing the usual things that happen?
For instance, I want to make a room that resets whenever a player enters it, but I don’t want to interrupt the usual text that displays when you enter the room.
Here is what I tried:

This is the player goes to the workshop rule:
	After going to the Rune Workshop:
		change the approachedvalue of the tuning station to false;
		change the approachedvalue of the test station to false;

Whenever I test this code, the player gets no text at all when going to the rune workshop. I’m assuming this is because I’m overriding the usual after rule,
which probably displays the description text and whatnot.

Tack “continue the action;” on the end of the rule.

(After rules interrupt your action by default. Not all rulebooks behave like this. See chapter 7.)

Here is what I’ve worked out:

This is the player goes to the workshop rule: Carry out going to the rune workshop: change the approachedvalue of the tuning station to false; change the approachedvalue of the test station to false;
There doesn’t seem to be any downside to using the above.

The situation I’m trying to model, is being in a large space, but having ‘workstations’ within the space that can be approached. There are plenty of parts shared by most of the workstations, so I will have the player approach specific workstations in order to clear up the descriptions and interactions. For instance, turning a valve is almost impossible to do intuitively when each of several workstations have several valves. If anyone can imagine a better way to accomplish this task, feel free to share. I might have considered using multiple ‘rooms’ for workstations, but I’d like a number of things to always be present and available for manipulation. I also want this to feel like only a single room, as it’s supposed to be a bit cramped.

Edit: Thank you, zarf! That is a bit of information I was unaware of.

In a small work, no. But Inform 7 tends to prefer things done in a certain way, and for example disregarding the generic/special-case distinction between the Check/Carry Out/Report and Before/Instead/After sets of rulebooks can cause headaches down the line. (See WI 2.12.)

Have you tried modeling these workstations as enterable containers? It might be easier to define new verbs and textual output for these things then, rather than trying to add a whole new paradigm to the world model.

This is actually an Inform bug. You should write it like this.

Carry out going to the rune workshop (this is the player goes to the workshop rule): change the approachedvalue of the tuning station to false; change the approachedvalue of the test station to false;

A carry out rule would probably be best here since the after rules are best when saying something. The only problem this might cause is in rule ordering, as it could be placed in the wrong place in a rulebook. However, this is easily dealt with using a few modifications, like so.

Carry out going (this is the player goes to the workshop rule): if the player is in the rune workshop begin; change the approachedvalue of the tuning station to false; change the approachedvalue of the test station to false; end if.

Hope this helps.