Rule for printing the name at the beginning of the game...

I’m trying to insert some text before the first prompt.

This object is in the initial location and I’ve tried to attach my text to replacing the name printing rule. (I’ve tried many different ways of doing this, to no avail).

This is the closest, but I still get an extra " here."

How can I get rid of the " here."?

David C.

Abbot’s Quarters
If I thought Abbots lived in luxury, then I was dead wrong. Even my attic’s cozier than this. The Abbot’s got no furniture at all, except a desk and a cot, and no decoration except for a bust of St. Newton. None of the axle-mounted, bevelled mobiles I was expecting. There’s barely even any sunlight: one thin window to catch the sunrise, opposite the door to the hallway back west.

I can see St. Newton is staring at the Abbot’s unpolished Grandfather clock with a severe frown.

try EXAMINE ME or X ME.
here.

Rule for printing the name of Gubbler’s Grandfather clock:
Print the Clock Name;
if the tutorialstatus of the player is starting:
say “[line break]”;
print the next tutorial command;
now the tutorialstatus of the player is started.

It’s not very clear what your code is doing.

It looks like you have a message “I can see St. Newton is staring at the Abbot’s unpolished Grandfather clock with a severe frown here.” Or maybe that’s an object “St. Newton is staring at the Abbot’s unpolished Grandfather clock with a severe frown”, and it gets rolled into an “I can see … here” paragraph.

Either way, printing a paragraph inside that paragraph naturally cuts off its last word.

You should probably get away from the “printing the name” activity, and instead do “after looking”, or some other part of the room-description sequence. “Before reading a command” might also be good.

This worked. I only spent a few hours on this…

Before reading a command: if the tutorialstatus of the player is starting: print the next tutorial command; now the tutorialstatus of the player is started.

Thanks!