Rovarsson's Spring Thing 2023

Well this jumped out on re-read [emph mine]! Why are you wart-shaming our hex-positive sorcerHERs this way??? Fran would be dismayed. :]

1 Like

Tuttut… Don’t get your knickers in a twist.

Fran enjoys a blanky in the rocking chair and a nice cup of hot cocoa in front of the fireplace just as much as anyone. Particularly any witch’s familiar. Tiring and spark-filled nights, you see?

As long as it hasn’t got any of those teenytiny half-molten marchmellows in it. Those paste her beak shut.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed my game.

4 Likes

I keep sharing the Mirror reviews with my students and I must confess I’ve been checking IF for some time hoping to see an entry from you. Thank you for such an enthusiastic approach - your notes feel burning hot and spontaneous as if written on one breath directly after finishing your reading. I am deeply impressed. And thanks for the hints. They will come handy both for the authors and me as their tutor. We are just deciding on the topic for our next year’s entry and even though I am sure the team here will come up with clever ideas, perhaps I may add some yours in our raffle hat :slight_smile: Or whoever elses here, when I come to think of it:) A really nice piece of reading. Thanks again.

11 Likes

Very glad to be helpful. I hope my short impressions can add a small bit to the obvious motivation that is already there. My enthusiasm mirrored the enthusiasm I read in the entries.

Good to hear the group is planning ahead to a fresh bout of writing next year. New voices are always more than welcome.

4 Likes
  • Repeat the Ending

Review: Repeat the Ending ; IF Reviews and Essays (intfiction.org)

6 Likes
  • Lady Thalia & The Masterpiece of Moldavia

Oh lovely Lady Thalia,

Thrice now have I followed you on heistly endeavours, thrice besotted by your guileful charm. Your elegant wit, your swiftness of thought and body never fail to dazzle and delight.

I am destined to admire you from afar, loving you who loves the arts. You whose love rages, burns inside but never is let out. I write across space, time, through realms of different realities.

I cannot… I can only hope to accompany you, aid you on a new heist. Somewhen…

Until then, lovely Lady Thalia,

Rovarsson

10 Likes

Thanks so much for the comprehensive review! Indeed the piece was rushed even for a back garden entry, due to time constraints (and yes, the particular puzzle with the water was a last minute -can i make this work- issue), but i’m hoping for a fuller experience down the line, hopefully for ifcomp.

I’m casually copying the entire review to use as a checklist of improvements, but i do have one question. Did you find at any dissonances in writing style in the game? I’m curious to see if the entirely machine-made bits stand out.

1 Like

I did know from the game description on the Spring Thing page that there is machine-generated text in the game. However, while playing I completely forgot about this. I wasn’t on the lookout for stylistic disjunctions, but in my playthrough I never noticed anything that broke the natural flow of the story or the style.

Taking that as a win! Would you mind if i quoted this particular bit in my thesis?

1 Like

Not at all. Go right ahead.

1 Like

The tension is rising… Everyone is on the edge of their seats; or couches; or beds; or improvised rugs-and-blankets-and-pillows (@sophia ?). The time of discovering which authors chose my Ribbon is almost upon us.

Oh, yeah, and there’s this little aside too, you know, who will get to carry the Best in Show?

But really, I just want to read all the original, creative, imaginative Ribbon suggestions.

Thanks to the reviewers for your extra insights. Fascinating to read how different brains interpret the same stories.

A loving, arms-spread-wide thank you to all the authors who put themselves out there for us to critique.
You have made my heart rejoice. Some of you have lifted my spirit and made me laugh, some of you have sunk my spirit in a thoughtful way and made it hurt.
All of which are emotions I welcomed.

And a fireworks-and-drumsolo round of applause for @mathbrush for making it all happen!

13 Likes

This was a not-insignificant anxiety for me lol. I wanted to choose ribbons that reflected the core game design pillars, but I was also worried about the guilt of not picking someone’s ribbon. Tough spot to be in.

:100:

3 Likes

Yeah, thanks for reminding me that this is a difficult choice moment for authors. We, the JUDGES, are having a ball writing up silly stuff… (wait what? You put a lot of thought into those ribbons? … Um notes for next year…

Anyway. it’s great that there are more than enough ribbons to choose from, isn’t it?

4 Likes

Speaking of ribbon nominations…18 out of 23 or so authors have responded. All ribbon nominations were anonymized and kind of randomized, so no one will know which ones you suggested…how popular will Rovarsson be??? tune in tomorrow, since around noon CST is when the award selection is due and when I start putting them in (latecomers will be posted as they come in).

8 Likes

Yes.

We could draw out the competition by betting “kudos” for who gets the most ribbons chosen. Add a bit more pressure to the authors who thought it was over.

And you would be the only one who knew the truth…

2 Likes

Can we nominate ourselves for “Most confused exclamations during debugging” or is that something that needs to have been recorded with the usage of acceptable metrics?
My wife is still making fun of me, if that counts.

5 Likes

Mmmmh can we share this ribbon? :rofl:

4 Likes

@GJMen , @manonamora ,

We, the JUDGES, would need audio-recordings for confirmation. We would count the number of expletives as

-$ = x
-* = y
-ç = z
-% = p
-& = q

and analyse them against the swear words in Asterix strips. Gothic script will not be awarded extra points.

4 Likes

DAMNIT! here’s goes my chance of getting ahead…

3 Likes