Rovarsson's IFComp 2021 (Edit: playing style and rating criteria)

Dr. Horror’s House of Terror

Two hours is not nearly enough to solve this game. Two hours ís however more than enough to be blown away.

You know that unspecified line between horror and camp? This game finds it and treads it with masterful balance. The setting supports the tone of the game brilliantly. Very broad implementation, nearly every command I could think of got a custom response. The puzzles I encountered so far were straightforward, but I suspect they were just warming-up exercises.

I’ll delve into this for the next few days I reckon. Expect a full review when I finish.

2 Likes

Off-Season at the Dream Factory

A fun unassuming fairy-tale. The fantasy-twist has been done enough times that it’s not really a twist any more. The game-in-game makes for a symmetry that lends some depth to the story. If there is an allegory in there, it could use some more exposition. I really liked the mother-son interactions.

Fun!

1 Like

4x4 Archipelago

Aarghlbleurgh… I died! I drank the poisoned wine! Never again shall I be so trusting of shady innkeepers.

Wellknown adventure scenarios abound in this game: the town overrun by goblins, the monster in the caves, the secret ancient treasure… They’re amusing and challenging, although not original. The stats and leveling-up seem well balanced and not too complicated. I rolled a new hero and I’m going to dive right back in.

2 Likes

AardVark versus the Hype

Good, funny writing, great nostalgic setting (to me), a general “don’t take things too seriously and just have fun”-atmosphere.
Particularly cool is the fact that there are 3 PCs you can SWITCH between. They are in the same geographical location but 15(ish) minutes apart. Intruiging (and clue-giving) to compare what has happened between different PC’s visits to the place.

Fun!

4 Likes