Review: Muggle Studies

(A light diversion into the Harry Potter universe. Not too memorable, but good fun. Very good for children and/or beginners. Muggle Studies - Details (ifdb.org))

Unmagical Wizardry

After your worldview has been shaken when the Wizard Dumbledore appeared in your flat and offered you a job, you wake up the next day with a hangover and a signed contract to teach “Muggle Studies” at Hogwarts Academy. When you arrive there, the halls and corridors are abandoned because of a spell gone wrong. You must set things straight without resort to magic.

Muggle Studies is set in Hogwarts Academy, that grand fantasy-medieval castle in a hidden part of England. You start off in Dumbledore’s office and must make your way down a tower and back up again after gathering what you need.
Although a tower with its limited room for branching hallways and side-rooms makes for a good setting for a straightforward text-adventure, it is also very narrow and linear. The gamespace feels cramped because of this. It is easy to forget that you are supposedly in this great building with all sorts of corridors , halls and other towers, let alone that it stands in a wide landscape with dark forests. A few windows with lush descriptions of the shingled roofs and the towering walls outside the tower would have pulled the space more open. Maybe even a view of Hagrid’s cabin or the living tree in the distance to remind players of the universe they’re in. The one window I could look through gave a very generic description of green woods and a glimpse of water outside.

The puzzles in Muggle Studies are good, but nothing too imaginative. This is beginner-level IF, where exploring and TAKE x WITH y suffices for the most part. The puzzles are very well hinted, without too much handholding. The game has one room where you have to figure out the answer to four riddles, a puzzle device rarely seen in modern IF, but which fit very well in this setting. A puzzle that does not work so well is a coded magic book where the cipher is a simple ROT13. I decided to decode it manually to get some sense of achievement out of it, but I would have preferred if the author had invented a simple code him/herself (? I can’t tell from the name.) and put a deciphering book somewhere hidden in the tower.
There are a good number of books and notes around that give clues and entertainment. I especially liked the Book of Herbs, where you can LOOK UP a large number of magical plants from the index, most of which are of no importance to the game.
Another nice touch like this is the file of misbehaviors and punishments in Mr. Filch’s room, where you can read about some of the misschievous plans of Hogwarts students.

The game handles conversations through TALK TO menus, which fits perfectly with the difficulty. There are always some fun options to talk about next to the important topics.

In keeping with the beginner difficulty level, there is a tutorial voice that gives advice on proper syntax for commands. Unfortunately, it sounds very pedantic, even wrong, to anyone who has played IF before. (“SEARCH does not work that way,” when you try to LOOK IN something. You can just imagine the little wagging finger somewhere in the program.)

The best part of the game to me is the slowly unfolding backstory involving your grandmother and your ex-girlfriend. It gives an emotional dimension to your character in this otherwise standard gathering-magical-objects quest.

A nice diversion for a few hours.

5 Likes

As a dedicated Potter fan, I will give this a try.

Thank you for the review.

1 Like

Enjoy! It’s fun being an outsider in Hogwarts.

1 Like

Maybe I’m not a muggle?

1 Like

Then let’s see you try ACCIO BROOMSTICK in this game.

1 Like

How dare you‽ Hogwarts is in Scotland, you heathen.

But seriously, thanks for another substantial review. :slight_smile:

Which word in “hidden part of England” did you not understand?

Without Good Ol’ Brittania they’d be livin’ in caves eatin raw sheepsgut, by god!

At least now they boil it.

1 Like

On a more serious note does anybody know where to find the feelies? The official website’s links are broken and I only found the gblorb on the IF-archive.

1 Like

I also searched in vain for the feelies. No luck on The Internet Archive.

I found the files on my hard drive. Can somebody upload them to ifdb for me?

Uploaded to ifarchive.

1 Like

Okay, the files are up at https://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/glulx/MuggleStudiesFeelies.zip ; could somebody put the link on the ifdb page?

2 Likes