Review: Birmingham IV

Someone please give that man some antihistamines!

He’s got a bad case of the hay fevers! Can’t even look at stuff without his eyes watering.

Yes, the protagonist of Birmingham IV has a chronic eye-disorder. Every single time he examines something: “Predictably, the Phil’s eyes water.” His other problem is that throughout the game, he is consistently called “The Phil”. I have no problem with third person narrative. It establishes a different kind of player-PC relationship that helps define the feel of a game. However, here it sounds more like the protagonist is a rambling braggart with delusions of grandeur narrating his own exploits. (This is probably not the case, but I found it fun to imagine my PC going about his explorations while describing his every move.)

This rambling-about-his-own-exploits protagonist is actually perfectly in line with my biggest gripe about the game: What the FULLGRU am I doing here?!

Apparently The Phil has woken up in a fantasy-dreamland (trolls & dwarves elves & all). He starts wandering around poking everything he comes across and taking whatever he sees. Out of pure curiosity he seeks out puzzles to solve but it is never clear what his goal actually is. Halfway through the game, a proper endgoal crystallizes: clear up the mess he has caused by thoughtlessly (some might say ruthlessly) tackling obstacles for no apparent reason.

The land the Phil is roaming is nicely described. There are (on my map) five distinct regions that all lie along a long E-W road. So that’s good for visualizing the geography. Unfortunately, due to an inventory limit and some less-than-practical puzzle layout (1988 oldschool style and all that…) you will travel this road until you can dream it and then some more.

The puzzles you encounter range from “Great!” (dropping breadcrumbs for the puddytat…) to ""Huh? (lighting the lamp…) to “Jeeves! Get-me-my-walkthrough!” (a not-cool-not-clever maze that is only justified because everybody knows that Elves are obnoxious tricksters seeking to confobble people at every turn.)

The writing is good. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the Elven Mound and the Plains by the River. There is a lot of humour in the response too, and there are tons of unnecessary but funny stuff to try (including dying in many ways) (Oh, that reminds me… About those puzzles: Learn by dying. A lot.)
But despite the funny and overall good writing, the lack of an overarching goal or quest made it all feel a bit too light and unimportant to me.

So: a nice big game, lots of laughs without any (heart)strings attached.
Worth playing.

3 Likes