Review: Aunts and Butlers

(Another one I remember from JayIsGames. Never finished it then. Kinda wish I didn’t this time either. Aunts and Butlers - Details (tads.org))

Not quite, your lordship.

The opening paragraph of Aunts and Butlers immediately sets the tone for this game: silly, jolly punniness played off of British stiff-upper-lipness.
The first part of the game succeeds in keeping up this atmosphere. You play an impoverished young man from a wealthy family. Your filthy rich aunt is coming to visit and you will have to jump through hoops to have a chance to get some money from her so you can pay your debts.

The puzzles are not difficult. The game pretty much tells you what to do, in a polite and British way. The implementation might give some troubles: when trying to interact with something, the game does not differentiate between an object that is not important now or an object that is simply not there.

Up until here, I had great fun trying stuff out and breathing in the fresh British air.

Unfortunately, after solving the bottleneck-opening puzzle at the end of this first part, the game loses its ambiance and slides off into oldschool incoherent silliness (the bad kind). A medieval knight and a starship are involved, among other things.

In the hints for one of these rooms, the author writes that this room was coded at 11pm the night before IF Comp’s deadline. I suspect that he turned to unfunny random madness as a last resort, pushing himself to get something finished to enter in the competition. Pity. I would have loved to see what this game could have been if it had stuck to its first-paragraph principles.

Disappointing.

2 Likes

I’d probably never have finished it.

2 Likes

Hello author who goes unnamed in the review!

I finished Aunts and Butlers yesterday evening and I still catch myself thinking: “What if Robin Johnson had let the deadline go by, opting to enter his game in Spring Thing or the next IF Comp instead?”

Despite my rating on IFDB, I really love the premise of your game.

2 Likes

I’d have rushed it on the night before the deadline for Spring Thing or the next IFComp. My ADHD wasn’t diagnosed for another 13 years.

1 Like