Removing headers from text files in Vorple interpreter

Hi there, I have created a notebook system modelled off the example ‘The Fifth Body’ with the same jotter system. The external file is the File of Notetaking called ‘notestwo’.

I read the file with "say “You read: [paragraph break][text of the file of notetaking]”.

This worked fine in the Gluxe interpreter and it works fine in Inform in the testing window, but when I put it through the Vorple interpreter, instead of:

|notebook entry

I get:

|* //VORPLE// notestwo
|* //D9E467E6-D36F-4C72-A55F-8E8FBDD618B3// notestwo
|notebook entry

Any idea how to make it so ‘the file of notetaking’ only returns the appended text (notebook entries) in Vorple rather than all the header stuff?

EDIT: The solution below partially worked, but then I discovered that every time I appended new text to the file there would be another “VORPLE//notestwo” line. So I ended up with:

To read (pad - a jotter):
	if Vorple is not supported:
		say "You read:[paragraph break][text of text file of the pad]";
	otherwise:
		let file text be "[text of text file of the pad]";
		let G be the number of lines in file text;
		let K be G / 2 + 2;
		repeat with N running from K to G:
			say "[line number N in file text][line break]".

Seems to be working perfectly now :slight_smile:

I think maybe you can just not show the lines in question. (See WWI 20.3 Characters, words, punctuated words, unpunctuated words, lines, paragraphs.) Something like:

let file text be "[text of the file of notetaking]";
repeat with N running from 3 to the number of lines in file text:
	say line N of file text.

Alternatively, you could try to replace the lines in question. (See WWI 20.8 Replacements.) Something like:

let file text be "[text of the file of notetaking]";
replace line 1 of file text with "";
replace line 2 of file text with "";

but that my leave some blank lines at the start of your notes display.

2 Likes