Released: Never Gives Up Her Dead, an epic sci-fi parser game (version 2, bugfixes)

For the record:

So this is clearly a me problem. I think it’s just that I’ve hit the local storage limit for iplayif.com: this is attested as 5Mbyte, and that figure’s come up before in the Parchment context (1, 2); and Firefox shows 5.1MB of storage used (most of it looks like autosave: keys).
(Maybe there’s something Parchment/iplayif could do to make the failure to save more obvious, but this isn’t the place to discuss that.)

2 Likes

Ah. I never got around to adding autosave removal when localStorage is full, but you could manually remove some files.

And if the game is saying the save was successful, it must be using the older save code. (I don’t remember if this code has actually made it into an I7 release yet.) But it could be manually copied into an older I7 release: https://github.com/ganelson/inform/blob/3c9e0ef592d0ef42e554563448c10baa1bd58887/inform7/Internal/Inter/Architecture32Kit/Sections/State.i6t#L60

3 Likes

I have a save from V1 that isn’t working on V2. Would the game still be beatable? (Here it is, for reference: NGUHD 7 rooftops.sav (87.6 KB))

Reply: Ohhh, thanks! I knew what I had to do but the exact wording wasn’t coming to me.

3 Likes

Yeah, it should be totally beatable! None of the bugs found in V1 lock you out of victory. The only thing that can lock you out of some (midgame) content is putting the shards in the upgrade machine in the wrong order.

In your current save file, the next thing you need to do is SLIDE ON HANGER or PUT HANGER ON WIRE then EAST, etc.

4 Likes

Aw crap, the game finally reset itself, and all my saves have disappeared, too. :frowning: When I posted before, I’d just started, but now it’s been a few weeks and I’d been chipping away at the game without any continuity issues up to this point. I had two rifts mostly done and had started a third. I’m less blase about just restarting now. Can anything be done?

Edit: I happened to go back to the IFDB page and tried hitting Play Online again, since the version information seemed to indicate that version 1 hadn’t been overwritten yet, and it loaded the game up where I had been. I have no idea why my browser reset it on me, but I think I’m okay to continue for now.

4 Likes

Hmm, maybe you should let me know when you finish and I can update the website then!

If you lose anything at some point, I can send you a version with testing commands available. That will let you complete levels the “canonical” way so you can just “test haunted house” “test horror” etc. until you catch up to where you were.

I hope it doesn’t reach that point but that’s probably the best option if you lose everything!

4 Likes

It’s possible you could have ended up on release 2 if your browser had cached the old version of the IFDB page.
(Because r1 moved to a new place on the IF Archive, and we updated the IFDB page to point to that, so that people would still get r1 by default for now; the path where IFDB used to point to now holds r2.)
Glad it’s sorted, anyway.

2 Likes