"Release along with an existing story file" crashes

Tonight I attempted to add Treaty of Babel information to one of my Adventure .z8 files by copying it into “TempProject Materials/story.z8” and making a two-line Inform7 project:[code]“TempProject” by Arthur O’Dwyer

Release along with an existing story file.[/code]But when I click the “Release” button, I get compile errors from Inform6; see the stuff inside the spoiler tag at the end of this post.

What exactly is going on when Inform7 releases “along with an existing story file”? It looks like it’s decompiling story.z8 back into Inform6 code (“auto.inf”), but I also see a ton of code in “auto.inf” that corresponds to Inform7 constructs, such as “it is very likely”; and then also I guess the whole Inform6 “Grammar.h” and “VerbLib.m” are getting pasted in, complete with comments? Even if my story.z8 file contained the default parser (which it doesn’t), I wouldn’t have expected the decompilation process to paste in a new copy of the parser!

It wouldn’t surprise or perturb me at all to learn that “release along with an existing story file” is intended to work only with games based on the Inform6 default parser/grammar. But I was expecting a friendlier error message: something like “Your story file doesn’t look like it came from Inform6 originally, so what I was planning to do with it won’t actually work. Sorry.”

[spoiler][code] The 11-word source text has successfully been translated into an intermediate
description which can be run through Inform 6 to complete compilation.
There were 0 rooms and 1 thing.
Inform 7 has finished.
/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Compilers/inform-6.32-biplatform
-kE2~S~Dwv8 +include_path=/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Library/6.11,.,…/Source /Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/auto.inf /Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/output.z8
Launching: inform-6.32-biplatform “-kE2~S~Dwv8” “+include_path=/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Library/6.11,.,…/Source” “/Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/auto.inf” “/Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/output.z8”
Inform 6.32 for Mac OS X (18th November 2010)
File “/Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/auto.inf”; Line 9318 # Error: Expected directive, ‘[’ or class name but found VPH_Class

VPH_Class
File “/Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/auto.inf”; Line 9315 # Error: No such constant as “VPH_Class”
File “/Users/ajo/TempProject.inform/Build/auto.inf”; Line 9317 # Error: No such constant as “ValuePropertyHolder_39”
Compiled with 3 errors and 1397 suppressed warnings (no output)[/code]The relevant bit of “auto.inf” looks like this. I assume that a newline should have been inserted between “0” and “Class” on line 9318, but again, I don’t understand why the “decompiler” is making up this stuff about in_obj and out_obj in the first place.Constant DirectionObject_10 = in_obj; Constant DirectionObject_11 = out_obj; Array Map_Storage --> 0 0 0 0Class VPH_Class; Array KOV_representatives --> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ValuePropertyHolder_39 0 0 0 0 ; VPH_Class ValuePropertyHolder_39 with value_range 1 with p54_recurring KOVP_39_P54 with description KOVP_39_P6 ; [/spoiler]
You can grab a copy of advent.z8 here: quuxplusone.github.com/Advent/

This is a known bug. I’m on my phone so i won’t look for the bug id, but for now you can install inform from a few versions back.

It’s not decompiling the code, and that i6 code is not used. I don’t know why it wastes time generating it.