REALLY BAD IF - a silly ~ham~

“Cretin” was Infocom’s term of choice for the player.

2 Likes

Interestingly, the name for the current command-taker (usually the player, unless you command other people) in ZIL is called WINNER. It’s suspected this was sarcasm from the fact that it might have originally L-USER (sounds like loser), therefore winner. Just remembered that. They called the player some interesting things!

2 Likes

Mine’s now submitted! I’m calling it the world’s most annoying game! So far it’s annoyed me getting it working, so it’s lived up to it’s name so far! I’m curious to see if anyone’s able to complete it! :grin:

5 Likes

I have also submitted. That was two hours of quality work there.

5 Likes

I read Manon’s I Promise I Am Working On The Game and I believe it loses the jam because it’s delightful and one of the most engaging and accessible Bitsy works I’ve encountered. Not Bad IF!

This game…it’s like. If after Douglas Adams and Hitchhiker’s Guide, Infocom partnered with Eugene Ionesco and didn’t even have to discuss it wouldn’t be released! :laughing:

It also gave me the impression of an “understudy” parser trying to remember which part goes with what game and getting into hilarious pratfalls. All I did was request INVENTORY and suddenly we’re over here in this game. It’s mind-breaking lovecraftian paradox if you know too much about parser games.

8 Likes

Ah but… I make the rules here :wink:

4 Likes

I have a cousin who was a professional tennis player and actually played in Wimbledon once. He simply cannot play a nice game of tennis or just hit the ball around with you. He just can’t. He will try, but then his instincts take over and he will crush you like a bug.

The point of this anecdote is to say that even when trying hard to write badly, there are some people (cough, cough, Manon) who just can’t do it.

11 Likes

:scream: :sob: :green_heart:

small edit: tbf i think it’s bad in other ways than the writing :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

In a smaller way I experienced the same thing with my cousin who was in high school tennis. She had to start refusing to go with me just to smack the ball around because she was like “you don’t return the ball enough, and we end up chasing it more than practicing.” She wasn’t looking for a challenge, she just wanted someone who could consistently volley with her.

I did experience one of my minor issues with Bitsy. Since the specific graphics you “bump” to get text are sometimes hard to identify or are completely invisible hotspots, once I get used to the arrow navigation I’m hammering buttons to zip around and inadvertently blaze through a one-off text bit since the arrows also can dismiss any text popup.

5 Likes

Furiously taking notes for my next ham entry.

1 Like

bullseye!

2 Likes

Only a few hours left before the deadline expires!

And I took the chance the make my first inform game thanks to the jam!

It is truly an awful thing.

IF YOU ARE SHORT ON TIME! BUT YOU ARE ALMOST ALMOST DONE!
Please send me the link of your project when you have the page published, so I can add it to the jam :slight_smile:
I will give an extension that will be as long as my sleep tonight :joy: (so like until 8-9am EST)

6 Likes

I snuck one in too. My reasoning was totally that if I wrote it in 48 hours, there were parts that had to be bad. But I’d spent a long time with it as a thought experiment.

This brings up the question of what is truly most bad.

Is it something morally wrong?

Is it something that uses technology to really, really annoy the reader? Or make things unfair?

I forgot one thing that is really annoying in Twine. I may be able to update it later. If I work hard. Nobody will be grateful for my hard work.

8 Likes

I’m glad I left the question open for people to choose what is bad or not :slight_smile:

(except at the end I have the final say in everything here :joy: )

3 Likes

Totally agree! And while I understand that Manon has the final say, I really couldn’t find anything that would make it a bad IF… Totally disqualifying material.

However, I can’t really talk as my entry is apparently one of those “so bad it’s so good” so…

3 Likes

THE FIRST EDITION OF THE REALLY BAD IF HAM IS NOW OVER!!!

Check out the 41 entries HERE

https://itch.io/jam/really-bad-if/entries

I will be reviewing the jam in a few days (when I’m done with Locus)

10 Likes

Hey so… I’ve started doing some very serious reviews of the entries. And disqualified some already :stuck_out_tongue:

Come tell me I am absolutely justified! (or wrong, I’m a benevolent dictator :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes