Readthrough mode available for TADS games

Update: it seems that release build saves may be more compact than the debug ones? I just used my readthrough mode to autoplay my game to the end (in release build this time), and even after 3200 moves, this save file was only 2.1 MB instead of the earlier 3.6 MB. I also found that after 3200 moves, I still had 2 undos available, which was encouraging. I assume I was playing on a debug build when I actually ran out of undos.

1 Like

John, I fear that there’s an misunderstandment, stemming from your not finding my post, whose was this:

https://intfiction.org/t/iterative-saves/59522/6

As you can see, I use cut’n paste from “service walkthrus”, record/replay &c. for reaching branching points then paste/replay the branch toward the point in the story I’m working (of course, I always kept a backup keyboard, in case the increased wear & tear on poor spacebar reach its predictable outcome…) hence the obvious usefulness of readthru in this debug/testing context
(I’m currently weighting a major split in the narration, where the player can skip half of the “solo” early game, early starting the middle game, with the first of the pair of two NPC, option whose require a careful balancing of the narration, the game being centered on my concept of “treasure hunt of knowledge/lore”, and I should care of the skipped knowledge base, the alternative is easy technically (a barrier) but until now I don’t have figured a solid rationale for the barrier, so I’m currently working on the base of both alternatives)
hence the specific usefulness of the readthru mode in testing & debugging.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like