Questions about Twine and code writing

I’m new to using Twine and have been experimenting with it and Harlowe for a few months.
My apologies if this has already been addressed in this forum before. If it has been, please refer me to where I might find the answers.

1. I’m finding that importing a file into twine doesn’t work. I’ve found files others have created but if I import it into Twine it doesn’t appear in in the main content pane.
  2. Is there a way to “reverse engineer” a twine story? Twine is really nice in the way it functions but, rather than build a story frame by frame I’m curious if it is possible to write it out and then upload it.

I’ve tried looking at the code of a story structure to understand it better in an effort to write it out but am not having any success with it.

Why would I want to do this, you might ask?
An attempt to write out the main passages and edit them without having to move back and forth between each one.

Currently using:
Twine Version: 2.3.11
Story Format: Harlowe 2.1.0/ 3.2.1

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

If you don’t need the graphical flow-chart editor to help see your story structure, you might look at the Twee format for writing Twine code in text files, and use a tool like Tweego or Extwee to turn your text files into an HTML file that’s playable on the web…

2 Likes

There are two applications named Twine (1.x and 2.x) which can be used to create Twine Story HTML files, and structure of HTML files generated by each of the applications is not the same.

Unfortunately the HTML files created by the older Twine 1.x application can’t be directly imported into the Twine 2.x application, you need to use a conversion tool to first change the structure of the HTML file before you can do that import. One of the tools you can use to do this is the Tweego compiler mentioned by the other answerer.

FYI: Importing is also an issue for projects published from early versions of Twine 2. They’ll also have to be converted before recent versions of Twine 2 can import them.

Hey all - thank you for the quick responses and help. I’m looking into twee/ tweego but am finding it to be a bit more complicated for my skills at the moment.