Questions about in-scope rooms

By default, when the player tries to physically interact with an object in another in-scope room (for example, through a window) they are told “You can’t reach into [room name].”

Before encountering this, I’ve never seen Inform 7 print a room name in a default message, and it doesn’t feel right for my game. How would I word an instead rule to replace this message depending on the room being reached into? Also, is there any way to check which other default messages room names appear in?

Thanks for reading.

That’s from the “reaching inside” rules. I’m pretty sure these are run before any Instead rules (or before rules). See section 12.16 of the documentation about how these can be overridden.

Awesome, thank you!

For any fellow inepts, from the documentation:

Rule for reaching inside a room: say "You can only look from this distance."; deny access.

Sorry to bump, but is there any way to check which other default messages room names appear in? If not, can anyone think of any off the top of their head?

Perhaps reading through Custom Library Messages? That doesn’t specifically name rooms though, just “library reference noun”, which is usually a thing. It provides a simple, comprehensive way to replace messages, at least.