Question over parser games [Commercial Success]

9 Likes

You can eat the destroying angel once. Just once though.

5 Likes

I donā€™t see us losing confidence in the words. I see questions about how to bring more people into the fold, which means compromise to some degree with a few well-thought-out gauntlets thrown down. Not changing the medium, but adding to it.There are so many readers and puzzle-solvers out there! They should be ours! Thereā€™s an unfortunate configuration of circumstance that prevents them from finding us and falling under our spell. How do we bridge that? And if someone made some money (unlikely, but folks can dream and weirder things have happened) along the way, awesome. But the primary goal should be to seduce the people and bring them into the fold.

If more people discovered IF and played our free games on IFDB, weā€™d all be happy even without a dime. But there must be baited fishhooks if this is ever going to happen.

10 Likes

Hey, wait, thatā€™s my job! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I wonder how we can do thisā€¦

3 Likes

I do not know about others, but I very much believe in the power of words.

THIS. (Okay it was not a parser game, but the effect would be similar if not the same if written as parser.) And when I read through the reviews of my One King entry for IFComp, I definitely made an impression :smiley: . I do need to work on my grammar skills and try to write more succinctly.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been working the street corners during my lunch breaks, but people keep giving me dirty looks. Iā€™m at a loss too. Thereā€™s one creepy fellow that looks interested, but Iā€™m not sure he actually wants to play interactive fiction.

6 Likes

You wonā€™t know for sure unless you try. Go take one for the team. :wink:

5 Likes

I know some lady who used to paint and place rocks to promote reduce, reuse, recycle. Maybe we 3D print a stencil for a QR code for the IFDB. Then we can covertly graffiti bomb IF messages IRL.

Wolverines

ETA: Before Zarf sits on me, I say this in jest of course.

7 Likes

https://www.gamesformotion.com/

4 Likes

Iā€™m concerned. But also amused. But concerned.

Now that you mention it, I wonder why all my board game pieces are disappearingā€¦

6 Likes

Hereā€™s one the chess fans might enjoy.

12 Likes

What an alarming image. I wasnā€™t aware this is how Zarf punishes people.

Seducing people means giving them what they want, priming them to want more, and then showing them the way they can have more. Onboarding.

So we need to give them what they want, which is cheap/free, easily accessible, pretty, user-friendly games that are right in their faces (meaning advertised and pimped by authorities and on platforms that our targeted audience uses). Meet them part way to prime them. Every example thatā€™s been given of modified parsers has been decidedly retro. We donā€™t want retro. We want sleek, modern stuff. Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with retro. Itā€™s just not the way to get attention.

7 Likes

Amen, sister!

Iā€™ll make the picket signs.

2 Likes

Actually, I donā€™t want sleek stuff. Itā€™s bound to be more complicated that its worth. Of course, Iā€™m a chess player. Look at board, click here, click there, and done!

Modern chess UI kind of turn me off. Same with IF.

If you want fancy stuff, I donā€™t object, but give me a simple alternative way to make my moves, or I wonā€™t be enjoying the game.

Really, thereā€™s nothing wrong with 2-clicks/drag-and-drop UI since thatā€™s universal. IMO.

1 Like

You are already an IF fan. My point was how to attract the audience that arenā€™t already IF fans, but should be.

3 Likes

If you want to get them young, you want simple. 5-7 years old arenā€™t interested in fancy stylings. Once past puberty, itā€™s probably too late. Too much FPS, and unless the interface shows that, they probably arenā€™t interested.

It took me a very long time to warm up to Visual Novel, just because Iā€™m unfamiliar with them. Even now, Iā€™m incredibly picky about what kind of VN I would be willing to tolerate.

1 Like

TALP is on that task. I think our task should be to attract the many, many adults who like to read and solve puzzles, and who are big buyers of interactive books, PnC games, and word puzzle games.

5 Likes

Let me illustrate generation gaps.
One of my beta testers lost his game because he assumed that all IF stories will autosave, because all (video) games he played Autosaved. I had to put in an opeing warning that IF stories do not autosave, and explain better how players may SAVE/RESTORE their games.

Since I grew up with text adventures, I didnā€™t even think about this feature.

11 Likes

My partners were talking about this recently. Something I apparently have missed entirely is that autosave has become near-universal. Maybe I didnā€™t know this because Iā€™ve stayed buried in the indie scene? Idk, but it was surprising for me to learn as well.

5 Likes