Question for playtesters of ADRIFT games

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the correct forum, but here goes:

When I am playtesting an ADRIFT game and creating a transcript, if I want to insert a comment into the transcript I press the # key. The cursor at the bottom of the Runner changes to a hand holding a pen. I can then type my comment and then press Enter. In the transcript, my comments start with a @.

I have been informed that on non-UK keyboards, the key you press is different. My Australian tester tells me that he has to press the " key and in Denmark it is the O with a / in it (I cannot type the letter on a UK keyboard).

If there is anyone in other countries who knows what key they have to press to insert a comment in an ADRIFT transcript, I would be very much interested to learn what it is, if it is different from the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for reading this.

4 Likes

As I’m the Aussie that reported this, I thought I’d do a little checking. I’m using a US keyboard and all my keyboards are the same. The hash (#) key is Shift+3 and the double-quote (") key is Shift+'. Is this different to a UK keyboard?

I was using Adrift Runner version 5.0.36.6.

3 Likes

On a UK keyboard there is a key (above the Enter key) for hash (#) while to print the double-quote (") you press Shift + 2.

2 Likes

On a UK keyboard, the hash is on the key immediately adjacent to the return key, and Shift+3 gives a pound (currency) sign. Double quote is on Shift+2.

Differences like these in Windows programs usually result from the programmer using the raw keycodes to detect keys, or not providing appropriate locale-specific accelerator tables for translating keypresses.

5 Likes

Thanks. That explains it. On US keyboards, the double quote is adjacent to the Enter key.

2 Likes

DavidK wrote:

“Differences like these in Windows programs usually result from the programmer using the raw keycodes to detect keys, or not providing appropriate locale-specific accelerator tables for translating keypresses.”

Err, could we have that in layman’s terms please? :grin:

2 Likes

“If the hotkeys are different for different keyboard layouts, that’s usually a mistake on the programmer’s part.”

3 Likes

Do you mean the person who programmed the particular model of keyboard?

2 Likes

No, the person who programmed the application that displays this behaviour. The usual exact mistake is providing an accelerator table in the program’s resources for the programmer’s keyboard, but not other common keyboards (e.g. providing only a UK accelerator table, but not a US one).

1 Like

On a German QWERTZ keyboard layout, one has to press the key which produces ä to activate the comment function in ADRIFT. (If it’s of interest to international non-QWERTZ users, that’s the key which is on the middle row of the physical keyboard, two to the right of “L” and two to the left of “Return/Enter”. The German layout there is: … K L Ö Ä # and then the lower half of the big Return/Enter key.)

3 Likes