QTads 3.4

Damn.

What does:

openssl version -v

print?

(Btw, I do test on an Ubuntu 22.04 install, and it works fine for me, so the only way to figure this out is by finding out what’s going wrong on your system.)

1 Like

Output:
OpenSSL 1.1.1g 21 Apr 2020

Right! :grin:

1 Like

Aha! On mine, it’s “OpenSSL 3.0.2.” So apparently you have the 1.1 version installed alongside 3.0, but when running an application that actually uses 1.1, it ends up loading the 3.0 version instead.

Thanks! I’ll have to figure out how to fix this.

2 Likes

Alright, from what I can find, you shouldn’t be able install two versions of OpenSSL at the same time. Ubuntu 22.04 isn’t even offering it for installation. Did you install it manually?

What do the following commands print:

which openssl
/usr/bin/openssl version -v
ldconfig -p | grep -F libssl
1 Like

I’m gonna be honest, the amount of entropy I can introduce into my own life without any memory of it is a primary trait of my ADHD, lol.

I honestly have no idea how I originally got OpenSSL.

Results:

jessica@jesstop:~$ which openssl
/home/jessica/anaconda3/bin/openssl

jessica@jesstop:~$ /usr/bin/openssl version -v
OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022 (Library: OpenSSL 3.0.2 15 Mar 2022)

jessica@jesstop:~$ ldconfig -p | grep -F libssl
	libssl3.so (libc6,x86-64) => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl3.so
	libssl.so.3 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.3
	libssl.so.3 (libc6) => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.3

EDIT: It’s very possible that Anaconda 3 might be doing this to me. I think when I first got into Linux, I tried setting it up so that I could generate plots and graphs from experimental formulae, but the idea never worked quite how I wanted, but I don’t think I ever uninstalled Anaconda 3.

If I understand correctly, Anaconda 3 might be insisting on an alternative library under specific cases?

If this is the problem, then I might need to figure out how to finally uninstall Anaconda without potentially destroying my dependencies…

That explains it. The Anaconda installation is interfering because anaconda3/bin/openssl comes first in your PATH environment variable (echo $PATH to see it.) As a result, when calling the openssl binary, the one from Anaconda is used, but the OpenSSL libraries that are visible are Ubuntu’s, not Anacondas, resulting in breakage.

I don’t think there’s much I can do :-/

2 Likes

I mean, it’s my fault; not yours, lol.

Thanks again for all that you do! :grin:

Time to go (safely) uninstall an anaconda!

Okay, I have removed Anaconda, and that fixed everything!

If any of my python things broke, then I’ll just fix those as they come up.

1 Like

I haven’t used Anaconda myself, but I believe it comes with some script file that you have to source in your .bashrc or similar. The installer apparently prompts whether or not it should do that automatically. You could instead source it manually in a terminal before you use something that requires Anaconda:

https://docs.anaconda.com/free/anaconda/reference/faq/#distribution-faq-linux-path

But don’t run conda init.

Anaconda will then only be active inside that one terminal and won’t affect the whole system all the time. I think…

1 Like

Yeahhhh, I haven’t actually used Anaconda since I first started with Linux. Kept running into too many problems, and gave up on the package in like 2018 or so. I just had not gotten around to removing it until now and actually forgot it was even there.

I think I was convinced I had it installed on a different Linux machine, but apparently not.

Apparently it’s possible to get rid of that dependency. If yes, I’ll probably do a re-upload of the appimages.

1 Like

Indeed it’s possible and I removed it from the appimages. I re-uploaded the Linux builds. There’s no reason to re-download it, unless you care about the 10MB smaller size.

2 Likes

How do I get QTads to run on windows? I downloaded the .exe file but nothing happens when trying to execute it. But possibly I am doing something wrong!

2 Likes

I hope you get someone to help you out, but I don’t know anything about Windows…
I think version 3.3 should be good too, if that makes any difference?

No, that doesn’t work for me alas. I was using it to try to play your game. Any other interpreters you’d recommend?

Specifically:

1. No window appears?
  2. No warning/error/notification appears?
1 Like

Also:

1. What version of Windows? (7, 8, 10, 11, etc)
  2. Did you try the ol’ right-click “run as administrator” trick…?
1 Like

Windows 10. I don’t see anything appearing. And run as administrator also does nothing, alas.

2 Likes

Well, that’s disappointing! I don’t know that any other interpreters correctly support the inventory sidebar and some other sound and graphical elements. @mathbrush did you say you ran it with HTML TADS? Or were there issues?
The game is playable in something like Lectrote (I think) but some of the neater features are missing…
I hope someone can chime in to get your Windows version working.

2 Likes

I just opened it in HTMLTads and the sidebar worked. I remember when testing that something about html tads was mildly bad (maybe the music sometimes didn’t play?) but I think a player could have a satisfying and close to intended playthrough.

Edit: I do get music at the start screen too, along with the image.

2 Likes