Python Parser anyone?

@patrick_mooney sorry I wasn’t around when this thread was active.

There is good news on the question of ‘how well could Python do an IF parser’. Balladeer is making progress slowly but surely.

Just crosslinking to this announcement if that’s OK.

2 Likes

Yes! Sounds like one way would be to download the ZILF kit which includes the ZIL library and then use the verbs.zil and parser.zil files as a list of commonly included commands. If you can implement the full list in Python then you’d have something close to an Infocom game.

Hope that helps!

Adam

3 Likes
3 Likes

Haha, lol, relatable, in lua but playable on browsers. One of the big reasons why I won’t recommend this in python is exactly that, however it will be great for learning python itself.

This too… :frowning: .

1 Like

I never did get to that one – I had specific other things in mind. But I agree with you – virtually all of the time, people really should be writing games in domain-specific IF languages if they care about player experience, and authors should care about player experience. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes indeed. And IF Language developers should care about author experience. And thank goodness they do.

1 Like

It can be mentioned about Tale — MUD, mudlib & Interactive Fiction python framework.

4 Likes

I’ve added Tale to the Python page of the IFWiki

4 Likes

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing the link.

1 Like