Problem with Simple Chat and Glimmr Combined?

This one may be tricky (or it may be boiled down to another one of my typing errors)
I have a Glimmr/Flexible windows setup for my game that is working fine.
I decided to go with the Simple Chat extension for handling conversations and included the extension.
So here are the three includes

Include Glimmr Drawing Commands by Erik Temple. Include Glimmr Canvas-Based Drawing by Erik Temple. Include Simple Chat by Mark Tilford.

still compiles fine.

Then I wrote the Understand statement to set up Talking to as an action.

Understand "talk to  [someone]" as talking to.  Talking to is an action applying to one thing.

These two statements (well technically the second I guess – the first sentence alone just brings up the error that you have to define the action) cause the compile to fail and an error to pop up in the glimmer extension

Here’s the error message

[code]In Part - Debugging, Chapter - Debugging output window, Section - Logging to the transcript in the extension Glimmr Drawing Commands by Erik Temple:

Problem. You wrote ‘After constructing the console output window when the Glimmr console transcript logging option is active’ , but ‘Glimmr console transcript logging option’ has the wrong kind of value: a use option rather than a chat node.

I was trying to match this phrase:

(glimmr console transcript logging option - chat node) is active

This was what I found out:

Glimmr console transcript logging option = a use option


Problem. You wrote ‘After constructing the console output window when the Glimmr console transcript logging option is active’ , but ‘Glimmr console transcript logging option’ has the wrong kind of value: a use option rather than a chat node.

I was trying to match this phrase:

(glimmr console transcript logging option - chat node) is active

[/code]

Here’s the line in Glimmr drawing commands that is red-highlighted by the debugger

After constructing the console output window when the Glimmr console transcript logging option is active:

This is beyond me. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jeremiah McCall

It looks to me as though Simple Chat is trying to take over the word “active,” which is now reserved for use options (something that extensions use). That would make the extensions currently incompatible, in a way that’s not your fault.

Try making a spare copy of Simple Chat, opening one copy, search-and-replacing “active” with some other word (like chat-active?), and then including that version – see if that solves your problem. (I could be off-base here, too.)

Matt W beat me to the punch. That is indeed what is happening: you need to change Simple Chat to make it compatible with the current Inform 7 builds. (I still very much dislike the fact that Inform 7 suddenly made the word “active” reserved.)

I believe I am sort of in charge of maintaining Simple Chat, and will try to get out a new version this week. Very probably, I will change “active” into “sc-active” (with “sc” standing for “simple chat”), so if you make the same change to your current copy you should be good to go.

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago and after some googling I found this response from Mark Tilford himself, with an updated version of the extension. I’m not sure why it never got updated in the extensions repository, but it worked for me without having to change my existing code.

Thanks all for the assistance!