Problem with default (first....) behavior in i7

I’m trying to let my character jump over an obtacle by standing on a tv.

Instead of going west to hallway: If player is not on the tv: say "You try to climb over the fence, but you are far to weak, and the fence to high"; otherwise: say "Standing on the tv you manage to climb over the fence and enter the hallway!"; Continue the action.

The result is:

Standing on the tv you manage to climb over the fence and enter the hallway! - As expected

(first getting off the tv) - Not wanted
Hallway

The obvious thing would be Get off tv; before Continue the action., but that doesn’t work.

Thanks in advance!

/Marcus

The debugging command RULES reveals that it is ‘the stand up before going rule’ that’s responsible for the parenthetical output.
You can open the Standard Rules from within the IDE and look it up to see what it does.

In this case, the easiest way is probably to replace it with a custom rule of your own that only applies to this specific game.

Add this to your source code:

[code]Check an actor going when the actor is on a supporter (called the chaise)
(this is the custom stand up before going rule):
if the chaise is not the tv, issue library message going action number 27 for the chaise;
silently try the actor exiting.

The custom stand up before going rule is listed instead of the stand up before going rule in the check going rulebook.
[/code]

It works perfect. I have to read more about rules and rulebooks to understand the code snippet fully, but you pointed me in the right direction for further understanding.

Thanks!

/Marcus

another way to do it is:

Code:

check going west from Starter:
If player is not on the tv:
say “You try to climb over the fence, but you are far to weak, and the fence too high.” instead;
otherwise:
say “Standing on the tv you manage to climb over the fence and enter the hallway!”;
now yourself is in Hallway instead.

end code