Problem with David Fisher's "Custom Library Messages"

So, I don’t know how to contact David Fisher, and I know that he’s posted in RAIF saying that, basically, he wouldn’t be continuing work on CLM, for whatever reasons. Which puts me in a bit of a pickle, as I’ve run across a bug in that very same extension. I’m posting this here so that maybe someone can tell me what the problem is and let me know how to modify the extension to solve it. Or maybe Ron Newcomb, who’s already updated a Fisher extension, migth read this and be interested. Hey, who knows.

Basically, lists seem to get a bit screwy. I haven’t been able to find a simpler example in which this problem occurs, but here’s the particular example in which I saw this error.

[code]“Test”

Include Custom Library Messages by David Fisher.

The cabinet is a supporter. It is in Place. The description is “[describe_cabinet][run paragraph on]”.

The encyclopedia is on the cabinet.
A fantasy novel is on the cabinet.

Place is a room.

To say describe_cabinet:
say “This is a cabinet”;
if the encyclopedia is on the cabinet and the fantasy novel is on the cabinet:
say “. I have 2 books here.”;
otherwise:
if the encyclopedia is on the cabinet:
say “. The encyclopedia is off to one side.”;
otherwise if the fantasy novel is on the cabinet:
say “. A fantasy novel is off to one side.”;
otherwise:
say “.”;
now everything supported by the cabinet is marked for listing;
let FRUSTRATION be the number of things supported by the cabinet;
if the encyclopedia is on the cabinet:
now the encyclopedia is not marked for listing;
decrease FRUSTRATION by 1;
if the fantasy novel is on the cabinet:
now fantasy novel is not marked for listing;
decrease FRUSTRATION by 1;
unless FRUSTRATION is zero:
say "[line break]I can also see ";
list the contents of the cabinet, listing marked items only;
say “.[line break]” [/code]

(why FRUSTRATION? Because I had a horrible time with that particular bit. Before I finally settled on “list the contents of the cabinet, listing marked items only;”, I kept trying 'say “[line break]I can also see [a list of the things on the cabinet which are marked for listing]”, which compiled and never worked, for some reason I ignore)

The output is:

See the “cabinetare”? Can also be “cabinetis”. And the problem goes away when I remove the extension.

Any thoughts? I wish I could just e-mail the author, but again, I don’t know where, and he seems to have discontinued it…

Hey Pete, find this line in the extension: LibMsg <say things on> "On [the main object][what's on %]." and add the space in: LibMsg <say things on> "On [the main object] [what's on %]." The line appears twice in the extension: once in the documentation (which is already correct) and once in the code.

Beautiful. :slight_smile: I’d guessed it would be something of the sort, but had no idea where to go looking, and don’t like to mess blindly about in other people’s extensions (especially I6-heavy ones). Needless to say, it worked wonders.

Also, I suppose this serves as a warning to people using that extension right now. Always useful.