Prizes for ParserComp

Really looking forward to ParserComp and would like to thank you Adam for organizing it! I definitely plan to play and vote for all ParserComp games.

Maybe it’s too early to think about prizes, but I just wonder if there will be possibility to donate various prizes, whether in cash or in-kind. Or some other direction is planned for ParserComp regarding prizes / awards?

2 Likes

I have already offered to donate a $100 cash prize, but that seems to have been overlooked.

5 Likes

@Edo Thanks for posting and asking the question, and also thanks for the “thanks” :smiley:

I’ll be honest… Cash prizes, or frankly any prizes, make me as a comp manager nervous and hence I decided early that for this year it would just the kudos of winning. I think I mentioned in of the earlier discussions (about two weeks ago) that this might mean people prefer to compete in IFComp because of the cash prizes and I will completely understand if that’s the case.

Personally I want to focus on getting the mechanics of running a smooth competition right. If it goes to plan, and makes sense to repeat next year, then we could look into what a prize structure could look like. But if I can have this one just to get the ball rolling and iron out the kinks that would be appreciated. :+1:

@Warrigal Now you’ve mentioned it I do remember you offering, and yes in the midst of everything I’ll be honest I forgot; sorry dude!

Adam

2 Likes

No problem. The offer still stands if you change your mind. What I was thinking was that the prize winner must be able to provide an email address with a PayPal account and I would send it to them directly.

If the competition is a success, I suppose the offer can carry over to next year.

5 Likes

Thanks bud. :+1:

Completely understandable.

1 Like

I would assume you could offer your prize and award it independently of a competition however you like?

2 Likes

I suppose so, but it’s not easy to contact people on itch.io. That’s where the organiser has an advantage, as he/she can contact the participants. I won’t worry about it for a while anyway. Let’s wait until the comp is closer.

1 Like