Prizes for ParserComp

Really looking forward to ParserComp and would like to thank you Adam for organizing it! I definitely plan to play and vote for all ParserComp games.

Maybe it’s too early to think about prizes, but I just wonder if there will be possibility to donate various prizes, whether in cash or in-kind. Or some other direction is planned for ParserComp regarding prizes / awards?

2 Likes

I have already offered to donate a $100 cash prize, but that seems to have been overlooked.

6 Likes

@Edo Thanks for posting and asking the question, and also thanks for the “thanks” :smiley:

I’ll be honest… Cash prizes, or frankly any prizes, make me as a comp manager nervous and hence I decided early that for this year it would just the kudos of winning. I think I mentioned in of the earlier discussions (about two weeks ago) that this might mean people prefer to compete in IFComp because of the cash prizes and I will completely understand if that’s the case.

Personally I want to focus on getting the mechanics of running a smooth competition right. If it goes to plan, and makes sense to repeat next year, then we could look into what a prize structure could look like. But if I can have this one just to get the ball rolling and iron out the kinks that would be appreciated. :+1:

@Warrigal Now you’ve mentioned it I do remember you offering, and yes in the midst of everything I’ll be honest I forgot; sorry dude!

Adam

3 Likes

No problem. The offer still stands if you change your mind. What I was thinking was that the prize winner must be able to provide an email address with a PayPal account and I would send it to them directly.

If the competition is a success, I suppose the offer can carry over to next year.

6 Likes

Thanks bud. :+1:

Completely understandable.

1 Like

I would assume you could offer your prize and award it independently of a competition however you like?

2 Likes

I suppose so, but it’s not easy to contact people on itch.io. That’s where the organiser has an advantage, as he/she can contact the participants. I won’t worry about it for a while anyway. Let’s wait until the comp is closer.

1 Like

The prize for the winner (@mathbrush) is time. A whole month of it.

To be spent solving Cragne Manor without hints.

Starting… now.

3 Likes

He didn’t just solve it, he wrote a part of it!

2 Likes

I am aware of the second part of that sentence. However, I’m willing to bet three kisses from my pet llama that he didn’t completely solve it without hints (and that he would have as much trouble as the next person to do so.)

Cragne Manor is a behemoth, and most of the authors involved were part of the beta-testing process for other rooms and the entire game before release. That did involve hints of course. We were all connected on a Slack channel so discussion was pretty loose. Even if you have hints, that game is a monster to get through. (I have personally never even made it to my own room in the released version of the game!)

Of all people, Mathbrush completes more games than anyone I personally know, and has asked for hints before when stuck like everyone does. I think he actually was assigned the last room in Cragne Manor so I would bet money he has already been through the entire game at least once, if not more.

2 Likes

I did beat the game, but wasn’t the first, and relied enormously on hints. I generally use hints and walkthroughs and even decompile games when I have to (especially old ones that have spent years untouched)

I love this idea of a prize. I always wanted more people to see Cragne Manor. Just wait until you see the flesh horse bathroom!

2 Likes

Alright, that does it. A “flesh horse bathroom”?!

Just give me a little more time to finish Jigsaw and then I’m diving into the behemoth that is Cragne Manor.

1 Like