Pre-release Jitters

Lol thanks, more like pulling myself out of the chasm of regret that opened beneath me the moment I clicked ‘upload.’ Instantly my mind was flooded with 3 more more “ooh, I shoulda tweaked that…”

@fos1 ehhh I don’t know. It’s super thin narratively. Was more focused on cherry picking functionality that seemed interesting or challenging to me as a coding exercise. Was as much about feeling out form and community expectations to combat my own blindered sensibilities. Let me cowardly push that decision down the road. I do love that a TADS jam exists though, already a larger user community than I assumed when I took my ‘hey I should do TADS’ wild hare seriously.

4 Likes

Eep! Scary but awesome, amirite? Congrats!

Just a heads up: if it’s public, you can’t enter it in next year’s IFComp. I don’t see it on IFDB yet, so it’s probably not too late to unpull the trigger if you still have eyes on IFComp.

** Edit-- man, did autocorrect want “unpull” to be “unplug.” I loathe autocorrect. Can I turn it off?

4 Likes

You cuold, bit O wavdm’t rakambind ut.

4 Likes

Your game would be perfect for the casual nature of TADS Jam!!!

3 Likes

Yah, if nothing else it gets one monkey off my back, so there’s room for the next one! :slight_smile: Thanks for the warning, but this is just a training toy. Gonna blank slate my IFCOMP one any day now…

@fos1 I hear you. Maybe I’ll be more comfortable once the little bird gets a bit further from the nest…

4 Likes

Wait, that’s a comp?

2 Likes

Yes. The Winter TADS Jam is a comp.

It would be great if you could participate.

3 Likes

So, it’s available, no turning back now. Currently in the “unprocessed” area of IF Archive pending final home (http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/trenchline.t3). Welcome any feedback folks are inclined to provide. Particularly interested in form, implementation or expectation gaps. Either Message me here, or feel free to use the email link in the game itself.

Or if you are feeling particularly sadistic, start a public Topic. I guess I can’t stop you, can I?

@fos1 Will a ‘public’ Beta make it undesirable for TADS Jam?

3 Likes

Since TADS Jam is still in the entry phase, it would be ok to enter. It is a casual Jam. Individuals that do the beta test would not be able to rate the game in the judging phase.

2 Likes

Well it made it to IF-Archive (trenchline.t3). Something about seeing it confidently sitting there, as if it belonged next to the pantheon of its predecessors, convinced me to enter the Jam*. I got some excellent feedback (thanks Mike!) I will be incorporating prior to submission. Timing is poor around holidays, but would love additional feedback others would be inclined to share prior to New Year! If I may be so bold,

• Would be super helpful if first command you enter is >SCRIPT and attach transcript to feedback.
  • Did not realize an asterisk would create a transcript comment! Yet another installment in my mountain of debt to Msr Russo. >* comment makes for super useful in-the-moment in-line transcript observations.

Thanks for your consideration all. Notwithstanding me trying to insert into your holiday time, hope everyone wrings every last drop of enjoyment they can from this season. Finding this community was a highlight of my 2022. All the best, folks!

* Also has happy side effect of further delaying my next project! Win win!

3 Likes

I’m happy to play/test, but I couldn’t find it on IFDB and IFArchive links are giving me errors…

1 Like

This link works for me:

https://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/tads/trenchline.t3

2 Likes

Got it, thanks Mike!

1 Like

Just want to check that you got my first transcript, because I tried to send you a message but now I can’t find a copy of it anywhere…

2 Likes

I did indeed, thanks so much. You were intimidatingly thorough! Got a lot to chew on now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes