Possible bug: enterable container part of supporter

Place is a room. A stove is in Place. It is a supporter. An oven is part of stove. It is an open enterable container.

Place
You can see a stove here.

go oven
You get into the oven.

look
Place (on the stove)

It could be by design (if you have a seat as part of a car, you’d want the room heading to show (in the car) even when you sit on the seat) but in this case it doesn’t look right. You can report bugs at http://inform7.com/mantis.

Just curious: Do you run into the same problem if you reverse the way it is implemented (i.e., you make the range an enterable container and make the stovetop a part of it and a supporter)?

Robert Rothman

Yes, it fixes the output when entering the oven but the underlying problem persists (if you make the stove enterable and stand on it you’re told that you’re in the oven).

A possible fix. It will print the part that holds the actor rather than the thing that the holder is part of (I hope).

Carry out looking (this is the new enhanced room description heading rule):
	say bold type; 
	if the visibility level count is 0: 
		begin the printing the name of a dark room activity; 
		if handling the printing the name of a dark room activity, 
			issue miscellaneous library message number 71; 
		end the printing the name of a dark room activity; 
	otherwise if the visibility ceiling is the location: 
		say "[visibility ceiling]"; 
	otherwise: 
		say "[The visibility ceiling]"; 
	say roman type; 
	let intermediate level be the visibility-holder of the actor; 
	repeat with intermediate level count running from 2 to the visibility level count: 
	[adding this extra conditional]
		if the holder of the actor is a part of the intermediate level,
			issue library message looking action number 8 for the holder of the actor;
		otherwise 
	[finished adding]
			issue library message looking action number 8 for the intermediate level; 
		let the intermediate level be the visibility-holder of the intermediate level; 
	say line break; 
	say run paragraph on with special look spacing. 

The new enhanced room description heading rule is listed instead of the room description heading rule in the carry out looking rulebook.

The simplest fix is simply to not make the stove part of the oven. Have them be two separate objects in the same room, both scenery.

In my business (I’m a tax lawyer by trade), one of the first principles which I learned (and which I try to teach to younger lawyers) is that solving a problem should only be done as a last resort; it is almost always better to structure things so as to avoid the problem in the first place.

Zarf, your suggestion is worthy of a tax lawyer!

Robert Rothman